Slow lighting and other disreputable tech :)

MikeSh

It's Christmas Eve, I'm bored, and you have complained about a lack of activity ... so ...
Current pet technology hate: Slow acting lights on things.

For some time there has been a trend for the interior lights in cars to slowly come on and go off. I don't have a problem with those that I've experienced so far - it does reduce the blinding effect somewhat.
But (and as my Swedish colleague told me years ago "Everything before 'but' is bollocks.") this habit has crossed to the barmy side. Two examples:
We have two G-tech vacuums (floor plus a handheld). When charging the number of lights (1-4) shows charge level and steady (4) = finished, flashing/pulsing = charging. But the rate of pulse is about once per 15 seconds, so you can't just look briefly at it to check, you have to stop and stare for 5-10 seconds (eternity) to see if it's going to pulse again. Really annoying.
We have a new kitchen with built in fridge. The light comes on when you open the door ... well, no. When you open the door the light starts to increase in brightness taking several seconds to reach 'useful'. As a result when you go to retrieve something which you know the approximate location of, you open the door, reach in, and then .... wait .... for the light to let you see exactly where to grab it. Really annoying.
Both seem to be a case of "We can make this look really cool" overcoming "We can make this sensible".

Yes, I've had a beer :)
Happy Christmas :sleep:

Don't usually need a fridge light: Milk front bottom latch side, marge front top, latch side, beer bottom hinge side. :)

(anything else then just slide the shelf out into the kitchen light)

Usually the fridge light is obscured by food - so isn't of much use. The button that is supposed to operate when you open the door often sticks - so isn't of much use. Stuff in the fridge is never in the same place twice - ... If I pull the shelf out, everything lands on the kitchen floor - ...
No I haven't had a beer! Bah humbug! And a merry christmas to you all!

Yes, now it's full of humbug food the light is of little value, especially as it's a tall fridge and the light is next to the top shelf.

Don't usually need a fridge light: Milk front bottom latch side, marge front top, latch side, beer bottom hinge side.
I'm at an age where running on auto results in accidents :eek:. So although I know where the milk and beer are I still need to get good visual contact before physical contact. If I don't then my fingers may be an inch out (that's 2.54cm for the youngsters) and I'll end up knocking it over instead of grasping it.

Mind you, it's so full at present (see para 1) that there's no room for stuff to fall over :whistling: :)

The problem I get with my fridge is that the milk shelf in the door has another shelf above it, so when I reach in and grab the milk there is a distinct possibility I will collide with the shelf above and drop the milk. Bugger. Never used to happen when my hands worked properly.

Four pint milk bottles are too big and heavy for the door. They are just a fraction too tall to fit between the vegetable drawer (or whatever it's called) and the bottom shelf. If I raise the bottom shelf there is not enough height for the other two shelves to be of any use. Hence - thud bang, everything moves as I force the milk bottle under the rim of the bottom shelf, only for it to rest comfortably - until I want to remove it. Why can't "they" make milk bottles that fit my fridge? (Yes I could buy 2 pint bottles that fit, but why should I pay 94p for 2 pints when I can buy two 4 pint bottles for £2 in the local Co-op?)

Because the 4 pinters don't fit your door?:duel:
:o_O: :confused:
One or two 4 pinters might fit in the door, but the door would probably fall off. Just before Christmas I think we had four or five of these ruddy bottles. They would not all fit in the door! We don't all have the big American (almost walk-in) fridges.

So ... Boxing Day morning and we've got a big lunch for visiting relatives - due to arrive at any moment. SWMBO needs programmes recording later, so I start the FOX to set them up.

And of course the damn thing has decided it's due for a random reset-to-defaults.
"Bah, humbug" was definitely not the phrase that came to my lips. :mad:

Back