Slow write through homeplugs

comqpq

I have a FOX HDR connected to our network through a switch and then Homeplugs. It has recently become very slow to write to - 300KBps! Reading is around 4MBps which is not too bad for a 100Mbps interface as fitted to the FOX.
The slow speed occurs whether writing via SAMBA from a PC, via FTP from a PC or via Foxlink package (NFS) from another FOX T2 HDR, so it's not protocol-dependent.
When I connect a laptop to the same switch as the FOX, I get read and write speeds with the FOX of 11MBps, which is full fast-ethernet bandwidth, so it's not simply that the FOX is slow to receive or slow to write to disk (and a command-line 'cp' command on the FOX is very fast, so definitely no disk limitation.)
I also tried copying to/from the laptop on the same switch to other machines across the Homeplugs and all speeds are good so it's not the switch(es) or Homeplugs per se..
I'm about to embark on a program of swapping out Homeplugs and turning some off (not involved in PC-FOX link) to see if that helps. If needs be I'll also reset or reinstall the custom firmware on the FOX.
The Homeplugs are TPLink TL-PA411s and the TPLink utility is no longer showing links and speeds - no idea why - tried from various positions.
Any ideas as to what is happening? And it didn't used to happen!

Update 20 minutes later. I started the methodical diagnosis by re-checking the writing speed before making any changes - and it's 5MBps+! I give in.

Last edited:
I have Devolos and they are not reliable. I am quite sure speeds the Cockpit shows me are fiction. Links mysteriously drop out mid-transfer, or the Devolo connected to the router drops out while the others carry on in their own sub-network as if nothing has happened.

I have spoken to Devolo and their only contribution is to tell me to declutter the electrical environment. No doubt less electrical interference will improve reliability of individual data packets, but you would think their firmware needs to be able to recover rather than go into a sulk and require rebooting. Sometimes it's a far-end unit which needs rebooting, but mostly it's the router end (as indicated by communications being lost to all HomePlug-connected units at once).

I have fitted the router unit with a WiFi smart power socket: when I get a notification from RS that my units haven't checked in for a while, I can reboot the Devolo (from the other side of the country!).

If needs be I'll also reset or reinstall the custom firmware on the FOX.
What for? It's the HomePlugs causing the problem!

I have Devolos and they are not reliable. I am quite sure speeds the Cockpit shows me are fiction. Links mysteriously drop out mid-transfer, or the Devolo connected to the router drops out while the others carry on in their own sub-network as if nothing has happened.

I have spoken to Devolo and their only contribution is to tell me to declutter the electrical environment. No doubt less electrical interference will improve reliability of individual data packets, but you would think their firmware needs to be able to recover rather than go into a sulk and require rebooting. Sometimes it's a far-end unit which needs rebooting, but mostly it's the router end (as indicated by communications being lost to all HomePlug-connected units at once).

I have fitted the router unit with a WiFi smart power socket: when I get a notification from RS that my units haven't checked in for a while, I can reboot the Devolo (from the other side of the country!).

What for? It's the HomePlugs causing the problem!
Still working fine this morning. It may be that the FOX is failing. It has been a bit flaky which is why I bought the second one on ebay (but it's been useful when there's nothing worth recording all week, then three or four things at once!)

And that's a shame that the Devolos are also rubbish - I've had glitches with the TPLinks, though not so bad since I upgraded to all AV500 rather than a mix with AV200s, a couple of years ago, and I wondered if the 'other' maker was better, but it actually sounds much worse.

And that's a shame that the Devolos are also rubbish - I've had glitches with the TPLinks, though not so bad since I upgraded to all AV500 rather than a mix with AV200s, a couple of years ago, and I wondered if the 'other' maker was better, but it actually sounds much worse.
I have been using Devolo AV500 HomePlugs for many years, and have been very satisfied with their performance.

I have been using Devolo AV500 HomePlugs for many years, and have been very satisfied with their performance.
I have been using a mix of Devolos, TP-Links and an unbranded item from CPC and don't have the regular problems that Black Hole suffers from. I might have to reset one device every 6 months typically.

I have the same sort of set up as the OP. Two Humaxes, a Samsung TV and an IPTV box all connected to a switch then through a TPLink PA251 (which is about seven years old). I very, very rarely have any problems although I have seen a slow down on file transfers on the odd occasion. I do tend to reset the TPLink once a month, though if this is necessary I don't know.

It may be that the FOX is failing.
Maybe, but nonetheless...
If needs be I'll also reset or reinstall the custom firmware on the FOX.
...will still be a pointless waste of time.

However, the HDR-FOX is pedestrian anyway, but I don't see much likelihood it is erratically slowing down data transfers unless your HDD is very full or has errors. Run a disk check, and if that finds no problems you can be pretty sure the issue is external.

I have been using a mix of Devolos, TP-Links and an unbranded item from CPC and don't have the regular problems that Black Hole suffers from. I might have to reset one device every 6 months typically.
What can I say? YMMV. I can only report my experience, your mains wiring might be better than mine. I presume you are using manual IP config rather than relying on a DHCP making it through to the router before the HomePlugs have woken up?

Back