SMB/Samba access to Humax gone?

nvingo

Until fairly recently, I could copy files from the HDR Fox T2 to the Windows 10 PC, via FTP.
The server is set to ON on the Humax.
I am using the same desktop shortcut to open the Humax HDD.
The window opens, Windows searches for the server then pops up a message that it's not found.
Something about a SMB-1, 2 or 3 protocol support.
HumaxSMB1.JPG
Any ideas?

Last edited:
One possibility would be to install a dedicated FTP client; I use Filezilla which is free. Alternatively try activating SMB1 support in "Turn Windows Features on or off" and tick "SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support".

The server is set to ON on the Humax.
Be careful about this: if you are using the CF betaftpd package, the native FTP server must be switched off.

If not, why not? The native FTP server is restricted In what it can do.

The page linked in the message contains this para:
Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.

The second sentence suggests Windows has probably dumped it for you.

I'll look into connecting from a non-Windows 10 client and transferring that way; maybe a Linux inside a VM can put the files into the same location I was using with the previous method. It seems Microsoft is (once again) the culprit here.

Be careful about this: if you are using the CF betaftpd package, the native FTP server must be switched off.

The native FTP server sufficed for my needs, copy/move video files.
I see betaftpd is installed, it may be my error. Native ftp now OFF. So how to connect to it from Windows?

FTP is nothing whatsoever to do with SMB file-sharing.
Modern versions of Linux won't connect to the T2's Samba (SMB sharing) either, because it is too old and incompatible.
Keep a Win XP or Win 7 VM for interchange - that's what I do.

The hideousness of Windows 10 never ceases to amaze me.

... It seems Microsoft is (once again) the culprit here.
You can blame Microsoft for adopting a not very secure file server protocol but not so much for disabling it by default some 30 years later.

As far as Humax CF is concerned we lack up-to-date SMB/CIFS support owing to bloat in the relevant newer versions of the Samba package that has thwarted attempts to port them.

The page linked in the message contains this para:
Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.

The second sentence suggests Windows has probably dumped it for you.
One possibility would be to install a dedicated FTP client; I use Filezilla which is free. Alternatively try activating SMB1 support in "Turn Windows Features on or off" and tick "SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support".

The native FTP server sufficed for my needs, copy/move video files.
I see betaftpd is installed, it may be my error. Native ftp now OFF. So how to connect to it from Windows?
Thanks all for the pointers.
Activating SMB1 support (and restarting Windows) has my original desktop shortcut linking to the Humax filesystem.
This time native FTP is OFF so I guess it's automatically using Betaftpd.
As a quick-and-dirty check, I double-clicked on a Humax media file, and the movie opened in the default Windows media player (yes I have VLC but it isn't set as the default, I open it manually as needed).

I obviously mustn't let the 15-day period expire between uses else it'll lapse again.

I think you might be confusing two different access mechanisms. SMB provides file system access, and is enabled by the samba package in the CF. FTP is simply FTP, and is accessed through an FTP client.

I think you might be confusing two different access mechanisms. SMB provides file system access, and is enabled by the samba package in the CF. FTP is simply FTP, and is accessed through an FTP client.
I'm sufficiently confused for sure. But as long as I can (again) drag-drop loads of media files from the Humax HDD to the PC, job done. It's just that I had always thought "FTP Server - ON" was a prerequisite to being able to do that.

So your file accesses are not FTP at all (neither the native server, nor betaftpd, involved). The SMB server installed as the samba package is not SMB3 compatible, which is the root of your original problem. Incidentally: with betaftpd installed AND the native FTP server turned on, FTP may well not have worked at all anyway.

However, it is very interesting (and I don't recall it being reported before) that Win10 can be granted SMB1 compatibility. I recommend the title of this topic be changed to reflect this.

Thank you. 'Confusion' reduced.
It's been several years since I set it up, long enough to have forgotten what/why was done and it had been working as desired until just (over) a couple of weeks ago.
First post edited as suggested by @Black Hole .

Back