Software update ?

Jeffox

Is it worth updating the software on the HDR T2 ? I checked the auto software update in the menu but it found nothing. I checked on the Humax site and there's an update posted in Feb this year.
Not sure why my box couldnt find it.

I'm trying to do everything i can with my very limited knowledge to fix the " freezing " issue, where the remote stops responding, any recordings going at the time will be stopped at point of freezing, though audio remains.
Scrolling the front panel freezes.
Only option is to switch off at the rear and switch on again. Its random, not frequent.

Possible overheating, so have ordered a better fan. My box isnt connected to my internet.
I also did a HDD test in the menu but message after testing said HDD was fine

My current SW is 1.03.12
loader a7.33
micom 9.3

Attachments

• humax software.JPG
    humax software.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 11
Well, it turns out that the software update i downloaded from Humax is not an update, despite what it says on their page. Its the same version that i already have.

Well done Humax. What a bunch of cowboys

Well, it turns out that the software update i downloaded from Humax is not an update, despite what it says on their page. Its the same version that i already have.
When I installed the version on the Humax website, the version changed to 1.03.13. Are you confident that the install worked properly (it takes several minutes)?

Yes, i followed the instructions on the link and it took about 3 or 4 mins .. it all loaded ok, i was wtaching the progress, and it said ' done ' or 'end ' i cant remember. I then dived into the menu and everything is the same, so i've just loaded on the same version as i already had

I'm trying to do everything i can with my very limited knowledge to fix the " freezing " issue, where the remote stops responding, any recordings going at the time will be stopped at point of freezing, though audio remains.
Scrolling the front panel freezes.
Only option is to switch off at the rear and switch on again. Its random, not frequent.
Possibly there is a corrupt recording on the disk that causes the settop program to crash while scanning the disk for DLNA indexing.

Using the HDR-Fox T2 OEM firmware, you'd need a large external USB drive to test this. You would create a folder on the external drive and move your recordings there. Then, if that cures the problem, gradually move them back. This procedure would be dreadfully slow because each file is actually being copied from one disk to the other. You could take the opportunity, before putting the recordings back, to reformat your internal hard drive since that's the only way to verify the filesystem with the OEM firmware.

Using the CF, you could just create a folder outside the media directories, then follow the same procedure. That would be much quicker as only the directories are being changed.

I have some large USB drives that would do the job of moving existing recordings over. Mind you, some time ago, when there no recordings worth saving, i formatted the disc from the menu. This was because i thought it would help this freezing problem, but since then, its happened again a few times, but it wouldnt hurt to do it again.

Just in case, i did the software update again via USB ... same as before. The "updated " software is what i already have so Humax have lied on their website saying this is update Loader a7.34 / SW 1.03.13 / Micom 12.01

Here's a shot of my TV showing the update, which it isnt

Attachments

• humax.jpg
    humax.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 26
As far as anyone knows the only significant change is to fix the problem with accessing the BBC iPlayer via the portal and has been reported to cause some problems on the HD Fox T2

Maybe i dont need the new software, even though it isnt new software, because iPlayer works fine from the app on my Samsung TV

You are more likely to gain more benefit from installing the custom firmware since that includes the ability to:
  • Fix the Portal problem
  • Download BBC and youtube recordings
  • Install Fan package to improve cooling
  • Run Check Disk for improved disk diagnostics and fixing
  • Webif and control of recording schedule from anywhere in the world
  • Ad detection and removal
  • No need to retune following channel changes
  • Backup of schedules and favourites
  • Plus much more ...
However random hangs and crashes remain an unfortunate fact of life for all Humax users.

Funnily enough, it's already got some custom firmware, as you can see this when the box boots up, as it says so on the front panel.
I didnt put it there, as it was done by a previous owner, so i have no idea what it is or what it can do. I'm a bit tech phobic, sadly

I checked the auto software update in the menu but it found nothing.
You wouldn't, regardless of there being an update to download. The HDR-FOX was designed when there was not almost universal access to the Internet, and an update mechanism for Freeview boxes was in the form of broadcast data (which it checks for automatically every day at 0430, even though the broadcast update channel was disposed of many years ago). Modern boxes check for updates via the Internet, but the HDR-FOX does not have that capability.

For information, see Things Every... (click) section 1.

Maybe i dont need the new software, even though it isnt new software
Humax only made 1.03.13 available in April, so yes it is new firmware. Prior to that the latest Humax firmware was 1.03.12, and with that iPlayer via the TV Portal stopped working last September. You seem to be confused.

iPlayer works fine from the app on my Samsung TV
What does that have to do with anything? The HDR-FOX has iPlayer built in (see TV Portal >> iPlayer)... but it won't work without 1.03.13, or custom firmware configured appropriately.

Funnily enough, it's already got some custom firmware, as you can see this when the box boots up, as it says so on the front panel.
If you really did install 1.03.13 (as available from the Humax website here https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?product_id=2641&curr_page=sw_release), then the front panel would not still be announcing Custom Firmware. Installing an official firmware (whatever version) will wipe any custom firmware.

Installing firmware requires following these instructions: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/problem-connecting-to-humax-portal.681/post-8876. If you didn't do that, or did not see "downloading" and then "programming" on-screen, you have not installed firmware. End of.

You should note that "3.13" announced on the front panel display during boot is a custom firmware version – it does not mean 1.03.13.

Custom firmware users have a way to resolve the iPlayer problem without relying on installing the Humax firmware.

i have no idea what it is or what it can do
It solves many of the annoyances and inconveniences of the Humax firmware, and adds facilities Humax never dreamed of (at least, not until after we had already done it). Information here: Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

In particular, it adds diagnostic and recovery facilities which might (or might not) solve your freezing/crashing issues: Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues (click).

I'm a bit tech phobic, sadly
Not so tech-phobic that you are prepared to do without a PVR. I suppose you are somebody who never checks the oil in your car?

If you want to get the best out of your gadgets, it pays to get under the hood.

I didnt put it there, as it was done by a previous owner
Frankly, the previous owner was negligent in not restoring it to standard (unless you agreed to take it with CF installed). It should have been your choice then to install CF if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Did you check that link i posted to the Humax update file for FOX T2 ? It says in quite bold type that it was available in Feb 2021, the same link that you posted, and your link says ( same as mine ) 1.03.13

But when downloaded and installed it says its the version i already have. If you bothered to look at the photo i took of the update on my screen, you'll even see that the software version number isnt there. Its just dashes and dots. So it seems to me that the file is wrong somehow.

I check the oil in my car. I even fill it with fuel by myself.

If you cant post without sneering sarcasm, then dont post at all

That simply cannot be. You cannot have 1.03.13 installed and still see "Custom Firmware" announced on the front panel during boot. If you were seeing CF announced at boot, then it was not 1.03.13. Fact. Furthermore, there is no version of custom firmware which declares itself as 1.03.13 in the system information.

I didnt put it there, as it was done by a previous owner...

If you cant post without sneering sarcasm, then dont post at all
Your statements do not add up, so same to you.

I posted earlier in the thread. Did you read it properly ? I have 1.03.12 ... Why would i bother trying to update to 1.03.13 if i already had it ?

Also, it states on the Humax link that its loader a7.34, and mine is loader a7 33 and also its meant to be micom 12.01 , mine is 9.3, so i have the previous version.

Its you that's confused

I'll post it again ... its in my humax menu

My current SW is 1.03.12
loader a7.33
micom 9.3

And again....here's the photo of my TV with the progress of trying to update to 1.03.13. It didnt work

Note the software number is missing and loader version a7.33 ( if it installed properly it would say loader a7.34 )

Attachments

• humax.jpg
    humax.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 13
Its you that's confused
...by your posts:

Why would i bother trying to update to 1.03.13 if i already had it ?

The update currently available from Humax (since April) is 1.03.13. 1.03.13 is an update to 1.03.12. When did you download it? The stated version date is not the same as the date Humax made it available.

Also, it states on the Humax link that its loader a7.34, and mine is loader a7 33 and also its meant to be micom 12.01 , mine is 9.3, so i have the previous version.
That is irrelevant. The loader version and minicom version are not updated by a normal firmware update. Loader a7.33 is fine.

It didnt work
Define "didn't work". Do you mean "didn't update the loader"? Do you mean "didn't update the firmware version"? Do you mean "unit no longer works at all"? Do you mean "still shows 'custom firmware' on the front panel while booting"? If all you mean is it didn't update the loader and minicom, that's expected and correct.

IIRC it isn't supposed to finish saying "downloading", it goes through the downloading phase (during which it reads from the UPD), and then goes through a separate "programming" phase. The two phases are shown on the front panel display as "D000" (clocking up to "D100") and then "P000" (to "P100"). It will pause for a long time at "P091".

I suppose you did remember to remove the UPD before pressing standby? (But that does not explain why it wouldn't have gone from the downloading phase to the programming phase, if that's what happened.)

You cannot deny your posts are misleading. Either way, this doesn't sound very technophobic to me.

Last edited:
If you're confused by my posts , its because you didnt read them properly, which was already evident. My posts are quite clear. You just need to bother reading them

Perhaps you could explain why you're confused ?

Check the link you just posted AGAIN. It says release date FEB 2021 not APRIL. Its quite big type. I downloaded the file today. If its not supposed to say " Downloading " i wouldnt know that. I just let it do its thing.

And yes, i removed the USB with file on before pressing standby. The instructions are quite clear in the link

Perhaps you could explain why you're confused ?
I already have, and quoted the relevant contradictory passages. Perhaps what you think you wrote isn't the same as what you actually wrote.

It says release date FEB 2021 not APRIL.
I know what it says, but the quoted "release date" is not the same as the date Humax made it available to the public. The availability was announced on this forum here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/iplayer-stopped-working.9882/post-153813. Prior to that, there was an interim version labelled "1.03.12" (unfortunately), only available by application.

OK, sorry, it was 20th March not April (time flies). Nonetheless, it was not available to download from the Humax HDR-FOX support page before then, and it is new as of this year.

it turns out that the software update i downloaded from Humax is not an update, despite what it says on their page. Its the same version that i already have.
Unless you have already installed 1.03.13 since March 20th, it is not "the same version that I already have" (sic).

If "it says so on the front panel", you do not have 1.03.13. If it says "Custom Firmware 3.13" on the front panel, you do not have 1.03.13. If you have 1.03.12, 1.03.13 is not the same!

My posts are quite clear.
Your statements are mutually contradictory, so there is no point re-reading anything. Please resolve the contradiction, then we might get somewhere.

Wiping the slate clean, what I think I see is that you believe you have downloaded firmware update 1.03.13 hoping that might resolve some of your problems. I can tell you that, unless your problem is the inability to play iPlayer content via the TV Portal, 1.03.13 will not resolve anything. The only thing which might resolve your crashing/freezing problem is to work your way through the guide I directed you towards before:
In particular, it adds diagnostic and recovery facilities which might (or might not) solve your freezing/crashing issues: Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues (click).
...for which you are much better off having custom firmware installed than wiping it with 1.03.13.

If you really are processing the firmware update correctly, and it passes through the phases I have described (including a long pause of several minutes at "P091"), says "success", but has not actually changed Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information to show Firmware Version = 1.03.13, then either the update on your UPD is not what you think, or there is some serious problem I have never seen before. I cannot imagine "success" means anything other than verified success in writing to the Flash, and therefore firmware 1.03.13 being installed. I have never experienced this to fail, and it has never been reported to fail.

I have downloaded 1.03.13 myself, I know the download was correct when I downloaded it, and it is difficult to believe Humax have changed the download file in the mean time (although, knowing Humax, just about any cock-up is conceivable).

With any Humax firmware update installed, the VFD (front panel vacuum-fluorescent display) will not scroll "Custom Firmware" during boot, and there will be no custom firmware facilities available at all. If the VFD does still show "Custom Firmware" during boot, then either the firmware you are trying to install is actually a custom firmware from this website and not Humax at all, or "success" must be taken with a pinch of salt.

I still dont know what you mean. I asked you to post about which bits your brain gets confused over, but you havent.

I dont care about the CF. I didnt even know it was o there till i bought the box.

Nonetheless, after 7 goes with different USB sticks, all formatted to FAT32 as per instructions, the update seems to have taken ok, but with some discrepancies. I have attched a photo to show software version is now the updated version 1.03.13, but the other stuff didnt change ( MICON number and Loader )

According the to the website page where the file is available to download, apart from the software version 1.03.13 which has now loaded on my box, the loader version i have is still the same, a7.33 even though the website file page says it's a7.34

MICOM version on my update is still 9.3 , where the website page says it should be MICOM 12.01

Still, the software version is now 1.03.13 which is ok. 1 out of 3 isnt bad.

I expect this has you confused even more, but since i've done what i wanted to do, i no longer care how confused you are. You probably wont even bother looking at the photo showing what i just said above.

Attachments

• fox t2.jpg
    fox t2.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 19
Back