SOLVED: The CF causes processor overload UNLESS fixdisk used to optimise hard drive again

mihaid

Are there any utilities to check when the processor might get to its limit? On several occasions now I've noticed that:

I am watching a hd program which has perfect picture
decide I want to record it and press record
watch the recorded program and notice almost instantly breaks in picture and sound
the last time this happened I know for sure it was the only recording being made

my hdd is reported being fine.

what other reasons may there be?

from a telnet window you can run top to show the most cpu active processes currently running

I did some experiments a while back and found that deleting files was one of the biggest contributors to picture break up so make sure you have 'Dustbin' installed and use it for the original files for autodecrypt and autoshrink so that deletions are deffered to a (hopefully) quiet time.

87% with 7% in dustbin
With a disk that full it may have difficulty finding sufficient contiguous disk space, if the heads are needing to switch frequently to different cylinders it could cause glitches in the recording.

from a telnet window you can run top to show the most cpu active processes currently running

I did some experiments a while back and found that deleting files was one of the biggest contributors to picture break up so make sure you have 'Dustbin' installed and use it for the original files for autodecrypt and autoshrink so that deletions are deffered to a (hopefully) quiet time.

thanks for top. tvdiary seems to take 87% of CPU now and then. i have the deleted folder but not sure what you mean about autodecrypt

With a disk that full it may have difficulty finding sufficient contiguous disk space, if the heads are needing to switch frequently to different cylinders it could cause glitches in the recording.

but presumably the current buffer uses the same bit of disk? so recording the buffer would be contiguous

funny thing is: I was about to report another case of pic breakup having paused the live prog just for a few seconds. it turned out that bbcone had problems with weather in Salford.

i have the deleted folder but not sure what you mean about autodecrypt
In Autoprocessing settings make sure you have
1581263543144.png
Turning it Off is useful if you have a large batch to decrypt but for day to day usage it is better to have the backups even if you never use them

is 87% really that full?

i.ve just installed sysmon but it shows nothing recorded for the past 5 min

also, is there something like the old defragment utility on my old computer drive?

Really? The disk has its own cache and the disk performance is supposed to be enough to record ten streams simultaneously which must involve a fair amount of head movement.

Last edited:
Really? The disk has its own cache and the disk performance is supposed to be enough to record ten streams simultaneously which must involve a fair amount of head movement.
so in that case what other causes might be for the pic breakup ?

so in that case what other causes might be for the pic breakup ?
I assume it will be a hardware limitation. It seems to me that Humax specify the machine to be able to do the the maximum load the standard firmware will allow eg simultaneously recording two HD streams and playing back another HD stream plus maybe a bit of allowance for DLNA playback. Of course the custom firmware can impose a much higher load. The first candidate to investigate would I guess be the CPU.

now sysmon is showing me that every 15 or 20 mins there is a spike of about 75% of cpu usage. is there a log which identifies which processes could be causing the spike? just as the "top" command identifies them.

Back