Solving Noisy HDR-2000T

Sidewinder

Having had it a while I find my 2000T (fanless) to be quite noisy both in terms of drive motor whirr and head 'ticking'. A brass weight sat on a rubber sheet on top of the lid and more rubber sheet under the feet reduced it a little but it was still too loud - especially with TV off or in quiet moments of programs.

Switched off, pulled all the plugs, opened it up and found this:
(not actually my pic cos I forgot to take one)

The HDD is fixed to a hard plastic tray (which it sits on) by four 'computer' type screws (flanged with pozi/hex head) which in turn sits on the chassis and is fixed in place by four pozi machine screws. There are no rubber dampers of any sort anywhere in the HDD mount.
I found some PVC rubber grommets of suitable size and cut them in half, leaving one mushroom (right) and one flat section (left). I also got some M3 flat rubber washers (middle).
(Grommets were 4.8mm dia. panel hole, 3.2mm dia. bore, 7.9mm dia. OD & 6.4mm overall thickness - PVC Shore 55 hardness from an RS 541-056 selection box)

The mushrooms (red) I inserted in the hole in the tray (black) so they insulate the HDD (grey) from it. The screws (green) were just long enough to still hold the tray/HDD together. The rubber washers (blue) went under the heads of the screws.
I then glued the remaining half of the grommets to the holes in the tray's bottom (where the chassis screws go) to provide further dampening.
Fixing it all back together I found the screw which fixes tray to chassis thru the circuit board only just long enough, the others were fine.

I stuck a 2" square of PC damping foam stuff to the lid's underside where the HDD cables are to stop any vibe transmission they may cause.

Lid on, cables in power up and it is now as quiet as my old Fox T2 (which is to say, very). Job done.

Last edited:
Yeah the Fox caddy has lovely silicone dampers for fixing the HDD as does the early 'Fan' 2000T' s caddy (pictured).

Still, I solved my noise problem for half hour's work & negligible cost.

Back