"Some Freeview users get a great free content boost"

Great! TV catchup was launched 6 months ago and from internet discussions appeared to only work on a few freeview play STBs and TVs.

Its now approaching 2 months since Great! stopped classifying spit films as "Split" via their CRIDs but instead allocated the same non-split CRID to both parts as though the second half is a repeat of the first half. For those who are caught out by this, having catch-up would be useful, but it doesn't look as though Great! TV catchup is very widely available yet.

Edit 28/11/2023.
I've only just noticed that the Great! Player app is on Sagecom's BT TV Pro Youview box. Earliest reference I can find to it is dated 22/11/2023. The picture viae catchup looks better than the aerial picture for DTT Great! TV channels.
Also new on the BT TV Pro box is that the Great! TV catchup is on the 7 day backwards EPG.

2nd Edit 28/11/2023.
An explanation of what this update adds to the original launch can be located at
https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/great-player-rolls-out-on-freeview-play-and-youview/

Last edited:
Its now approaching 2 months since Great! stopped classifying spit films as "Split" via their CRIDs but instead allocated the same non-split CRID to both parts as though the second half is a repeat of the first half. For those who are caught out by this
Aaah. That explains why SWMBO only had the first hour of a film recently. And looking in her list I found two more ... which I've deleted to avoid disappointment.
Have to look out for that in future. What a bunch of #@%*s.

Aaah. That explains why SWMBO only had the first hour of a film recently. And looking in her list I found two more ... which I've deleted to avoid disappointment.
Have to look out for that in future. What a bunch of #@%*s.
Have you looked at her recording schedule to check if any other Great! TV recordings are in the same boat and then set the second half to record as well as the already set first half?

Have you looked at her recording schedule to check if any other Great! TV recordings are in the same boat and then set the second half to record as well as the already set first half?
None at present. They get set on a daily basis.

You can't if it's marked as a repeat.
I've been wondering about how the Aura might react. I'll let you know what I find next time she wants one that has this feature.

Presuming it follows specification, you'll be out of luck. I imagine Great will fix it though.
I was setting some recordings up just now and had a look into this. I found a Great film with a split and set the first part to record. The second part didn't get marked with any R. Then I selected the second part and it had a note that it was set to record earlier. I ignored that and set it to record and the box accepted it. I checked in the schedule listing and both parts were there separately at the correct times, so it seems it would work.
Just need to check how many parts a film is in each time ...

so it seems it would work.
Recorded two split films last night like this. It's done the Aura trick or combining each pair of recordings into a folder, which in this case makes sense (unlike with the Bond films) and both halves of each are present and showing expected lengths.

Out of curiosity I had a look at the satellite box and superficially that seems to be different. On setting a recording it only shows an R on the first part in the guide, but checking the schedule it shows start and end times for the whole film, including the break. I don't know if that's due to the Freesat system or the Arris box.

Back