Sound issue

Peterb999

I've just bought a HDR-Fox T2 box and I get the dreaded no sound problem with my Samsung MU6120 TV. I never get sound no matter what I do. I don't suppose anyone knows a fix for it?

As your HDR-Fox T2 is obviously not a new unit, I would start by checking if you can get audio out of the two phono sockets on the back of the unit, this will prove that the unit is capable of producing sound. If the phono audio out sockets work, then it looks like you are only having problems with the HDMI audio content

BTW
You have posted in the HDR-1800T/HDR-2000T forum
EDIT
It has now been moved by a moderator

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Ezra. I've already tried the phono audio out and it works fine. I've also tried the box on another Samsung TV and it works fine through HDMI.

I've been reading online and people have fixed it on Panasonic TVs by changing the HDMI to mode 1 - I don't seem to have that option on my Samsung MU6120 TV.

You could try a different HDMI input on your TV, They sometimes setup HDMI1 differently to the others. Failing that the other fix some users have used (usually for video problems), is placing something between the Humax and the TV to re-format the HDMI signals, options are either an AV amplifier that has HDMI in/outs, or an HDMI switcher box e.g. a 4 input / 1 output device

Thanks again.
I've tried all the HDMI ports and different cables. I do however I do have a HDMI switcher box so I'll give that a go, thanks for suggesting it.

You sir, are a star.
I've put a HDMI splitter in between - tried again and boom, glorious audio again. Many thanks for your help. My wife has just walked in and commented "I take it the audio works now" - I had it set quite loud when it wouldn't work so when it did work it was quite a startle.

If anyone else has this problem in the future I used one of these (it strips out HDCP so useful for video problems as well, used to use it on a projector).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006KZBC92/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This bargain £27.49 box from ebay gets better and better (it was sold as spairs or repair but actually worked fine).

Also, thanks to whoever moved the thread, apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

I've just bought a HDR-Fox T2 box and I get the dreaded no sound problem with my Samsung MU6120 TV. I never get sound no matter what I do. I don't suppose anyone knows a fix for it?
I realise this is late to the party, but I would have wanted to know whether the problem was isolated to StDef or HiDef services (figuring you might have only been trying HiDef, for example).

Hi Black Hole.

I'd tried both SD and HD channels, and also SD and HD recorded programmes but no sound at all. I tried going into the "secret" menu on the TV and though there were a few HDMI options and audio options nothing fixed it. I also made sure that the volume on the Humax itself was set to 100%. It's an interesting problem.

I don't recall this being reported before. Normally problems are with no video (HDCP broken) or lack of volume control on HiDef. I was thinking maybe the TV couldn't hack AAC audio, but StDef is bog standard PCM and anyway the audio will still be AAC (or PCM) after a splitter.

I had the same problem with my Panasonic and if I wanted hdr on my other equipment ( Apple TV and Blu-ray) I had to connect mine through the optical, if not I could switch the hdmi mode and get sound back but would lose my hdr from my Apple TV. I am happy enough now using the optical although I must say that all my equipment goes through the av receiver

Thanks for the reply Ezra. I've already tried the phono audio out and it works fine. I've also tried the box on another Samsung TV and it works fine through HDMI.

I've been reading online and people have fixed it on Panasonic TVs by changing the HDMI to mode 1 - I don't seem to have that option on my Samsung MU6120 TV.
I just wanted to say thank you for this post. An innocuous comment but I've had exactly this problem with my own new Panasonic TV. Oddly, I have two FOXes and initially the second worked; it was only after power cycling to try to get the first to produce audio that the second then went quiet.

Tip for any other Panasonic TV owners who may come across this post: the menu option to switch HDMI mode is only accessible when you have an HDMI source selected as the active input. Then go Menu > Setup > HDMI Auto Setting.

Just thought I'd update this thread. I have now got it working without having to use the splitter.

On the TV I had to go into Settings - General - External Manager - HDMI Colour. I turned off HDMI Colour for the HDMI port of the Hummy (aparently it's to do with HDR). Soon as I did that the sound came back on. It's been working fine for about a month now.

Back