"Start System" with blue light on button, then blank display with no light on button indefinitely, no loop - any ideas?

crizzo

Hi all. I have a HDR-FOX T2 on CFW 1.03.12, have used it close to daily since 2012, in that time I've replaced a failed HDD once (for a new Seagate ST1000VM002 in 2015) and reflashed the CFW a couple of times, never had serious issues until now. I have benefitted greatly from the guides on this forum/wiki and from the CFW and associated packages, and really appreciate the depth of knowledge and experience in this community. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the below - and I'm happy to provide further info as required.

I recently came back from holiday to find the Humax appeared to be powered off. The front panel power button was not illuminated in any colour, whereas it would normally be blue/red/orange etc. I tried powering it off and on again with the isolator rocker switch on the back, here's what happens:
  1. For a few seconds, no text on the front panel display, and the front panel power button has no light around it at all. No HDD noise or discernible fan noise (although I know the former may be delayed and latter may only be triggered as needed)
  2. Then very briefly (a fraction of a second), I see "START SYSTEM" on the front panel and blue light around the front power button
  3. Then it returns to no text, no illumination of front power button. There is no boot loop, it just stays like this until I power off (with rear rocker switch) and on again
I've tried with a new HDD (a new Seagate 1TB ST1000VM002 - same as it was running before for ~9 years with no problems) to no avail - it doesn't even seem to get to the stage of spinning up the HDD.
I've also tried with no HDD connected (to see whether it might be the failed capacitor issue identified) but there is no difference to the above.
I have also tried to reflash with CFW, and have tried to apply system flush, both to no avail - and using the exact UPD I have used successfully to do all firmware updates in the past - the above happens and I don't see any difference.
I tried reseating all removable cables on the PCBs, and I couldn't see anything obviously visually awry with any of the components or boards.

Appreciate any advice or thoughts at all, I can provide photos/video and more info if useful, thanks in advance for any pointers and apologies if I have missed anything obvious, I searched but couldn't find anything which seemed to match my situation.

Difficult to say. I suppose this might be a faulty PSU.

That there is no change with the HDD disconnected suggests it's terminal.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your help. It certainly seems as though power is only being supplied briefly and then it cuts out. I'll look into my options

Back