Strange factory default set up on startup

notapom

When I powered on my Humax this evening, it brought me to what looks like a factory reset kinda screen. I had to choose my preferred language and it had the number 1 in the corner. I followed the prompts and it performed a full scan. After the scan I reset the box and tunefix reorganised my channels as I hoped it would. My recordings are all there but my scheduled recordings are not. I'm guessing the scheduled recording were removed to do the new channel scan?

What could of caused this?

Twice recently I noticed that I was unable to pause or rewind live tv and after a reboot, the problem would go.

I had read on here that there may have been an issue with the partition that controls the buffer? I followed the suggestion in an older post to reboot into maintenance mode and to perform fixdisk. This seemed to work/have no issues so assumed maybe it was just 'one of these things' that the pause/rewind function had gone from live TV.

After this strange incident today, I'm starting to think that the hard drive may be on the way out? What do you more knowledgeable users think? Am I right? Are these incidents unconnected and just random?

Thanks Notapom

Am I right?
No

Are these incidents unconnected and just random?
Yes

it brought me to what looks like a factory reset kinda screen
This is a known "random" event we call a Random Factory Reset (although it is thought to be triggered by a corruption in the Humax databases - when detected on boot the unit goes into a rebuild-from-scratch recovery process). We have a System Flush download (see wiki Downloads page) which installs as if a firmware update but is intended to be a non-destructive rebuild, but of course nobody really knows when to use it in hope of preventing a Random Factory Reset.

My recordings are all there but my scheduled recordings are not.
Yes. The recordings are on disk, the schedule is held in flash memory as a database.

I'm guessing the scheduled recording were removed to do the new channel scan?
Yes. Retuning a mux always wipes any schedules associated with that mux; a full auto-scan wipes the lot. However, if you go to WebIF >> Scheduled Events >> Backup/Restore you will see a list of existing daily auto-backups and any manual backups you might have made, and can restore from them.

Most of your settings can also be auto-restored if you set them up in the boot-settings package (obviously you only need to configure the ones which are not the defaults). Any tuning personalisation you have can be restored by tunefix, and auto-schedule-restore can automatically recreate the schedule from the last backup if it finds an empty schedule at boot (vital to keep a dummy entry in the schedule if you use this package). All these things require another boot after the Random Factory Reset reboot.

More info here: Restoring User Settings after Restore Factory Defaults

This is a known "random" event we call a Random Factory Reset (although it is thought to be triggered by a corruption in the Humax databases - when detected on boot the unit goes into a rebuild-from-scratch recovery process). We have a System Flush download (see wiki Downloads page) which installs as if a firmware update but is intended to be a non-destructive rebuild, but of course nobody really knows when to use it in hope of preventing a Random Factory Reset.
Phew that's good to know it's a software issue and not a hardware one. This is the first time it's happened in the year I've had the custom firmware so that's not bad I suppose.

However, if you go to WebIF >> Scheduled Events >> Backup/Restore you will see a list of existing daily auto-backups and any manual backups you might have made, and can restore from them.
Ohh ok I didn't know this. Always learning something new. Thanks for your detailed and thorough reply. You're responses are always very helpful when I have a (probably obvious) question or issue.

Many thanks

Phew that's good to know it's a software issue and not a hardware one. This is the first time it's happened in the year I've had the custom firmware so that's not bad I suppose.
Got nothing to do with CF, it is a feature of the Standard Firmware. With CF we are able to mitigate the effects but not prevent it (for now).

I'm starting to think that the hard drive may be on the way out? What do you more knowledgeable users think?
Nobody thinks anything unless you post the SMART stats. - from the Disk Diagnostics icon on the WebIf's Diagnostics page.

This random event happen to me recently. Exactly as you described. First time it has happened in the ten years that I have own it. So not that often.

Rob.

Back