Strange problem with FVP-5000T

MartinLiddle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I turned on my FVP-5000T this morning to discover the list of recordings was full of failed recordings and the schedule of future recordings had no scheduled recordings until Monday although the series recordings for programmes that are broadcast today and on Sunday were still present. On inspecting the failed recordings they were almost all for programmes that had yet to be broadcast and were shown as zero length and failed due to a power issue. I deleted all the spurious failed recordings and deleted and reinstated the series recordings for the future. There were further oddities like the box believing that it had a failed recording for the Serpent at the correct time but with todays date rather than tomorrow. This was unusual because it didn't offer any options to do anything with the recording. I eventually got rid of it from the list of future recordings rather than the on-screen EPG. As the box was due a retune (I hadn't bothered to do a retune for the LCN shuffling), I decided in the end to photograph the schedule of recordings, do a reset to default followed by a manual retune and reinstate any non-standard settings (like skip time). Box appears to be back to normal now but interestingly there is someone else over on MyHumax reporting what seems to be exactly the same problem this morning. Has anyone here seen anything similar?

My best guess is that somehow the box got confused about the date but I would be interested to here any other theories.

Has anyone here seen anything similar?
I haven't got much set for recording at the moment. Those programmes I had set for yesterday recorded with no problems. "Montalbano" is still set for tonight. The recordings for tomorrow are still set. However, I'd already retuned my box a few days ago. My box does like to crash in the middle of the night. I've resorted to a power on timer at 03:30 to stop it. Could you have had something similar?

I haven't got much set for recording at the moment. Those programmes I had set for yesterday recorded with no problems.
Yesterdays programmes recorded properly on my box as well; it was an overnight problem.
"Montalbano" is still set for tonight. The recordings for tomorrow are still set.
So you definitely hadn't suffered from the problem I saw; any idea what time you would have put the box into standby? The only thing that was slightly unusual for me was that I was using the Humax until about 1am.
My box does like to crash in the middle of the night. I've resorted to a power on timer at 03:30 to stop it. Could you have had something similar?
What are the symptoms of the box crashing in the middle of the night? It isn't something I have knowingly suffered from.

any idea what time you would have put the box into standby?
About 11pm recently.
What are the symptoms of the box crashing in the middle of the night? It isn't something I have knowingly suffered from.
Not sure. My 5000T is in the bedroom. Before I set the power timer to be on - I have heard the damn thing come on at some time close to 4am and start chuntering away for no apparent reason. I have also noticed that when some scheduled recordings were around 4am, the Humax appears to start up and then crash. As far as I can remember, this results in a zero length failed recording. With the power timer set at 3:30 BBC1 it appears to work without a problem. (Famous last words!). There is something in the back of my mind that it may have something to do with which channel it was left on when it went to standby - but I have no conclusive evidence for that.

That’s what I thought. At that time my 5000T is not connected to internet but is connected to LAN. (I use dongle on my laptop for internet connection)

I'm on my second fvp5000t and have been having the same recording problems on both. I believe it is a software problem but humax said it cant be as all users would report it. It is a shame there is no reset button on this unit as when it freezes, neither the remote nor any of the top buttons work and it requires an unplug. When it reload, sometimes it shows no recordings, other times it shows all recordings but some marked as failed with zero length. When these are 'played' it says they failed due to power loss. I've also noticed recordings of excessive length (eg 9 hrs or more) and the zero length items were to have been recorded during this over-long period. My suspicion is that the fvp5000t is failing to identify the start and stop times properly. An example might be when I was recording the series of 'Tales of the Unexpected' which has multiple episodes on the same day. Could it be that it got confused over the various end times and just carried on? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Back