Streaming from NAS to HDR-FOX T2

I have recently bought a HDR-FOX-T2. I've installed the custom firmware on it. I would like to be able to use the hummy to stream some movies on my NAS to my TV. Most of the movies are in mp4 format. How do I do this? If the mp4 makes it not possible, how would I do it for .ts files recorded by the hummy itself (which I have transferred to the NAS for safe keeping). Thank you.

Does the NAS drive not appear if you press media (yellow Video if not already selected). Blue (storage) and select network ?

If not check content share is on. Menu - Settings - System - Internet Setting - Content Share

Thanks. Content share is on. When I press blue and select Network, I can only see MediaTomb. No sign of the NAS :-(

How is your NAS connected to the network ? It needs to have some form of DLNA/upnp server. Is it connected to your PC or router ? Is the folder with the video files shared on your network ?

On what is the MediaTomb server installed ?

If not check content share is on. Menu - Settings - System - Internet Setting - Content Share
This is not relevant. Content Sharing on the HDR-FOX turns on the internal DLNA server; the internal DLNA client is always available.

As you said above, it is the NAS that needs its DLNA service turned on, but it can take the HDR-FOX quite a long time to find it. Then compatible content (which should include MP4, although that is a container format and the actual codecs within may not be compatible) should be accessible via Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network.

Information about compatibility can be found via Index (click) >> Miscellaneous >> Video File Support & Manipulation >> Codec Support.

how would I do it for .ts files recorded by the hummy itself (which I have transferred to the NAS for safe keeping).
How did you transfer these to the NAS? If they were not decrypted first (or in the process), they will only play back using the HDR-FOX they were recorded on, and even then only by direct file access and not by DLNA, provided the .hmt file is stored along with the .ts. More about encryption here: Things Every... (click) section 5.

By far the best way to access network storage is to use the CF to turn it into virtual USB storage. See https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/ .

How is your NAS connected to the network ? It needs to have some form of DLNA/upnp server. Is it connected to your PC or router ? Is the folder with the video files shared on your network ?

On what is the MediaTomb server installed ?

The NAS has UPnP running. I can see it from VLC player on my iPad so I know it's definitely on.
The NAS is connected to my router.
Yes the folder is shared - I can see it on many other devices on the network.
Media tomb is installed on the hummy. (Actually I don't know what it's for or how to use it)
Thanks

Thank you, Black Hole. I've got the network-shares-automount package working and now I can see the nas in My Media.
Is there a way for it to list the files in alphabetical order instead of date order?
Thanks again

The NAS has UPnP running. I can see it from VLC player on my iPad so I know it's definitely on.
The NAS is connected to my router.
Yes the folder is shared - I can see it on many other devices on the network.
So it's just a case of waiting for the Humax to pick it up.

Media tomb is installed on the hummy. (Actually I don't know what it's for or how to use it)
Why did you install it then?

Its main use is to provide a DLNA service on HD-FOX - which Humax did not provide as standard. It can also be used to supplement the native server by providing access to file types not supported by the native server. You don't need it, so take it out.

Is there a way for it to list the files in alphabetical order instead of date order?
Media >> OPT+ >> Sort. This toggles between sorting by time stamp, alphabetically, and by channel.

Last edited:
Thank you, Black Hole. I've got the network-shares-automount package working and now I can see the nas in My Media.
I prefer not to list network storage with local storage - I keep mine in the Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB list (shareFolder = off in the modsettings for network-shares-automount).

With the network storage cross-mounted into the file system the standard Humax firmware uses, there is a risk that it will corrupt the free space calculations. It will definitely be routinely scanned by the DLNA service (slowing everything down), and it is also far too accessible for somebody to unknowingly delete the host folder - which then proceeds to recursively delete everything shared in it on the NAS (it has happened - one forum member even did it twice!).

By leaving shareFolder = off, it is more obvious that the storage being accessed is external.

Last edited:
Thank you for your sensible and valuable advice, Black Hole. I have done as you suggest (and installed virtual-disk2 too) and I can now see the NAS as a USB drive.
I'm really sorry if you feel I've asked you to spoon-feed me. That wasn't my intention and I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

virtual-disk2 currently has the unfortunate side effect of appearing to the Humax firmware as if a USB device has been plugged in shortly after boot, resulting in the 'new media detected' options popping up on screen annoyingly. The simple solution, instead of virtual-disk2, is to keep a spare UPD in one of the USB sockets.

virtual-disk2 might get a revision in the near future, to ensure it is loaded before the Humax firmware boots. This will prevent the annoying pop-up and make it a no-brainer.

I'm really sorry if you feel I've asked you to spoon-feed me.
I rescinded that comment, but clearly not before you saw it. Read the OPT+ button as "extra options" - it offers things that cannot be done any other way and should be familiar to all HDR-FOX users. For example: highlight a recording and press OK, and you will be offered a menu of options including "play" and "delete". Do the same on a failed recording and all that happens is you get a pop-up telling you that the recording failed (although it might play anyway if you pursue it). The problem is, for a recording that really has failed, how to get rid of it? Users only familiar with the OK menu can't - you have to use the OPT+ menu (and it is therefore better to use OPT+ by habit than reaching for OK every time).

Much more wisdom here: Things Every... (click)

Back