Subtitle Sync problem

In my case I don’t mean anything to do with mumbling, I mean that I can actually follow the plot better from reading it even if the speech is perfectly intelligible.

I can add a third group (which includes myself)....
I can add a fourth group (applies to me) -
4) Those who try to identify a piece of music played in the programme. Sometimes the artist and title are given just before the first # in the subtitles when the music starts. Sometimes the numpty doing the subtitles forgets to do this and tracking down the music can be difficult - especially when the continuity bods squash the end titles so you can't read the credits.

In my case I don’t mean anything to do with mumbling, I mean that I can actually follow the plot better from reading it even if the speech is perfectly intelligible.
I found this long before I needed subtitles. If I go (went) to a lecture I struggle to grasp purely spoken information, but if the same words are on-screen at the same time I can usually get it - assuming it's not something completely beyond my intellectual abilities :oops:

Try this, not sure about the iOS version but the Android one is free
Shazam et al never seem to do a very good job for me, but then I'm trying to identify music which is not exactly commercial main-stream.

Something that annoys me is how there is track information displayed on a DAB receiver, and even available on FM, but the Freeview radio stations can't be bothered (ClassicFM!).

I can add a third group (which includes myself)....

3) people who sometimes struggle to follow and retain complex plots unless they can read it rather than just hear it.
I'm in your third group. The trouble for those of us in this category, whose need for subs is intermittent, is that DVB subtitles are huge , vividly coloured and distracting. They often include unwanted noises, like creaking doors, and in the case of BBC subs they're all the colours of the rainbow and float around the screen at will. I have developed a modus operandi whereby most recorded content (including that from the Hummy), is viewed via a media pc. I get subtitles from get_iplayer or from Subscene, reduce them to bare minimal (speech-only) text and display them in a small font on a semi-transparent background at the bottom of the screen where they're easy to ignore until needed. It sounds complicated, but preparing the subtitle is pretty much an automated process that generally takes only moments with SubtitleEdit and the result fills the gaps in my comprehension without being distracting.

I should perhaps add that I only do this for drama. It is clearly unsuitable for live programming.

I generally only need this for some of the dramas, which tend to be the things with sometimes complex or convoluted plots. One time I definitely can't use it is when subtitling is live (News etc.) and the words are building one by one. I find not only the 'building' element of this visually distracting, but also the 'stop/start' nature of reading it.

AI-generated subs for the likes of BBC NEWS can be hilarious!
For instance, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov was rendered as "so gay lover". Although that link refers to C4 in 2014, I saw the same "gaffe", or perhaps spooky Freudian insight, from Sky News on a client reception TV a few years earlier. In those days, and perhaps still, the audio track had to be revoiced for the speech recognition to work. Presumably the broadcasters used the same speech recognition software, or at least the same training set.

AI-generated subs for the likes of BBC NEWS can be hilarious!
You say AI, but the last I heard the technique was rather cack-handed. Somebody re-speaks the words into a voice recognition system which, we all agree, makes a pig's ear out of interpretation.

Back