Subtitles for The Great British Bake Off 6-10-2020

bottletop

This is not a complaint, but a comment on the subtitles for this weeks Bake Off (bread week).
I was watching the recording with subtitles on and noticed that the freeview subtitles were spot on. They were in sync throughout the recording. I don't recall this happening before for recordings. The subtitles usually lose sync after a while and I have to do something like stop or pause to try to get the two in sync again. But usually it'll go off sync later. This is unusual but very welcome surprise.
Additional info - I was watching the recording after it has been shrunk and ad detection bookmarks were applied. I tried fast forward and reverse playback, various skips etc and it didn't affect the perfect subtitle sync. Very odd!
In another note, I think srt subtitles for matching mp4 are usually in sync. I assume this is because the srt has timestamps.

Subtitle sync problems on recording playback is a well known problem (see for one of several threads)

I have no idea why detectads and cropping would have improved the situation. Cropping often causes video/audio problems

Subtitle sync problems on recording playback is a well known problem (see for one of several threads)

I have no idea why detectads and cropping would have improved the situation. Cropping often causes video/audio problems

Yes you're right. I didn't check properly before posting. I was just pleased that the subtitles worked properly and hadn't seen this before on my hdr fox T2.
I didn't use crop, only detectads (to place bookmarks). The result was also shrunk.
I have the background info just in case it was relevant.
I wonder if there is a way of running a stream checker to update the recordings to adjust the dvb subtitles to align them/keep them in sync during playback?
I've read some of the other threads about sync issues with subtitles. There are suggestions the Humax fvp5000 may be a good alternative or transfer the recordings out and use VLC on a pc. Both options require the recordings to be made available to the network and ideally decrypted so the custom firmware is needed.
I found Kodi to be a good playback option as it can show dvb subtitles and allows skip and seek. (Although it won't recognise the Humax bookmarks.) So using network share, Kodi client running on Android, Raspberry pi 3 with codec licenses or Raspberry pi 4 should allow for synced subtitles during playback.

Both options require the recordings to be made available to the network and ideally decrypted so the custom firmware is needed.
Not necessarily. Recordings are made available on the network as standard by DLNA, and are decrypted on the fly. Players such as VLC are able to use DLNA access. HiDef recordings will not be served to a non-secure client unless they have had the protection flag cleared (ie "unprotected").

Back