Suggestion - Email alert for a crash

peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
As per the title, would it be possible to send an email if a crash has occurred ? The emails received for missed recordings, disk problems, etc. are great, especially as I tend not to look at WebIf as often as I used to ('cos it runs so smoothly).
I only access RS now to set recordings.
If it can be done then I can then look at WebIf and make sure all is well. (I tend to run fix-flash-packages after a crash though, by recent posts, this is probably not necessary)

I like the idea in principle, but it might not be a crash which causes RS to lose touch - it could be a network thing. All RS knows is the HDR hasn't checked in.

Maybe the user could set a timeout for check-ins, which if exceeded would trigger an email warning that the HDR has not checked in for x hours.

I like the idea in principle, but it might not be a crash which causes RS to lose touch - it could be a network thing. All RS knows is the HDR hasn't checked in.
Why does it matter whether or not it loses touch? Most (but not all) boxes go into standby and are out of touch with remote scheduling. The WebIf is able to issue a warning when a crash has happened so I am assuming it is recorded somewhere on the box and hopefully could be interrogated by the remote scheduling system?

I think we're talking about while it is in the crashed state, not after it has recovered! The only way RS can possibly know is if check-ins stop for a while.

Of course, this only applies to 24/7. Non-24/7 would either not use the facility or set a longer timeout.

Last edited:
The WebIf is able to issue a warning when a crash has happened so I am assuming it is recorded somewhere on the box and hopefully could be interrogated by the remote scheduling system?
It would be a push from the box to the RS server, but I could make it send details of any pending alerts that one would see in the web interface.

I think we're talking about while it is in the crashed state, not after it has recovered!
I don't think so. He's referring to the message banner you get in webif when you go in, which will be about crashes (and updates) since you last acknowledged them. Could be weeks, during which time some packages may have been disabled. (I had this a few months ago and only noticed because deleted recordings weren't going into the 'recycle' bin.)

Well, I think an alert that a machine is crashed would be useful! I don't always go looking.

But this already effectively exists. I get 'em when one of my machines crashes. It says it hasn't heard from machine x since time y. Set timeout to suit.
Yes, I've just realised that. Therefore my interpretation of the OP is not relevant.

Unfortunately, the vagaries of my home network mean the boxes (on the HomePlug sub-network) can lose touch without having crashed.

Not a lot you can do about that then, apart from putting some effort into improving the network.

It would be a push from the box to the RS server, but I could make it send details of any pending alerts that one would see in the web interface
I still hope this might be possible. Had a schedchk and a crash alert today and it would have been very useful if that had appeared (somehow, by magic ?) in RS

Back