Sweeper repository request

peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
Like a few people I sometimes struggle with Sweeper. For instance I would like to remove all files and folders from webif-autoshrink in the Dustbin but cannot get it to work satisfactorily.
Rather than creating a separate thread each time for queries/assistance, would it be possible to create a repository 'somewhere' so that when someone creates a rule they can publish it for others to make use of ? I appreciate it would need to be monitored to ensure duplicates are not shown but it would sure help me if no one else !!

I would like to remove all files and folders from webif-autoshrink in the Dustbin
Why? Are you impatient to free up the space before auto-empty does?

The point of undelete is to give you the chance to recover files if you find they have not been processed correctly. If you prefer to just ditch everything straight away, simply remove the undelete package.

Why? Are you impatient to free up the space before auto-empty does?

The point of undelete is to give you the chance to recover files if you find they have not been processed correctly. If you prefer to just ditch everything straight away, simply remove the undelete package.
No I am not particularly impatient. I just wanted to set my self a task using Sweeper to enable me to become more familiar with it (and I failed badly !). I thought that the autoshrink folder would be a good one to try as the originals are in the autodecrypt folder should I need them.

The problem I have with undelete is that I effectively end up with three copies of everything because I run autoshrink and autodecrypt. This does impinge on disk capacity.

I did post for advice elsewhere on getting auto-expire to delete files in the autoshrink folder earlier than the general undelete rule. I believe the original files are in the autodecrypt folder as they decrypted first, hence my choice.

Because I could not get auto expire to work, I resorted to sweeper. From memory I set it so that if age > 120 (hours), delete recording.

However, checking RS remotely, I am not sure it works as the autoshrink folder is still 238gb. It did work using the sweeper run now button however.

This is an issue I would also like to solve.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Because I could not get auto expire to work, I resorted to sweeper. From memory I set it so that if age > 120 (hours), delete recording.
Auto-expire won't work on anything inside the bin. None of the auto processing routines go into that apart from the one that empties it each day. If you ever do run low on disk space, it will become quite aggressive in removing old files from there - that can be tuned on the Undelete setting page.

Sweeper is going to have the same problem, let me see if I can think of a way to get around that.

That would explain why run now worked.

Do the autoshrink and autodecrypt processes need to each have their own folder when both processes are enabled?

This is an issue I would also like to solve.
Ignoring the bin is too baked in to get around easily. The best solution for this is to run a separate copy of sweeper every so often, just against this folder.
Create a sweeper rule on the autoshrink folder as you've already done.
Add a line to the crontab file to run sweeper on that folder occasionally. Something like:
Code:
0 */2 * * * /mod/webif/plugin/sweeper/test "/media/My Video/[Deleted Items]/webif_autoshrink"
adjusted for whatever you've set your dustbin name to.
The */2 means run every two hours.

Thanks af123. I will try that when I get back home next week.

Will the edit to crontab survive package updates etc.?

Thanks af123. I will try that when I get back home next week.

Will the edit to crontab survive package updates etc.?
Yes, and you can edit it using the web interface too if it's easier (it should appear in the quick list of commonly edited files).
A reboot might be required (or cron service restart at least) to pick up the changes though.

Thanks. I would have to use webif. My skill don't extend beyond that. With four boxes to apply it to, copy & paste will help.

Ignoring the bin is too baked in to get around easily. The best solution for this is to run a separate copy of sweeper every so often, just against this folder.
Create a sweeper rule on the autoshrink folder as you've already done.
Add a line to the crontab file to run sweeper on that folder occasionally. Something like:
Code:
0 */2 * * * /mod/webif/plugin/sweeper/test "/media/My Video/[Deleted Items]/webif_autoshrink"
adjusted for whatever you've set your dustbin name to.
The */2 means run every two hours.

Is test in your example the sweeper rule name ? My rule is named emptyautoshrink. Is there a log to tell me that it has run ?
Thanks

No, test is the command to run sweeper by hand. It will run all rules that are configured against the folder (webif_autoshrink).

If you want to record output of the command, put this at the end of the line:

>> /tmp/somename.log

Last edited:
No, test is the command to run sweeper by hand. It will run all rules that are configured against the folder (webif_autoshrink).
If you want to record output of the command, put this at the end of the line:
>> /tmp/somename.log
Works great - thanks. I did change the log path to /mod/tmp/logname which then showed the log in the diags page list of logs

Yes, and you can edit it using the web interface too if it's easier (it should appear in the quick list of commonly edited files).
A reboot might be required (or cron service restart at least) to pick up the changes though.

Is it the anacrontab file I need to edit?

4ndy be aware that when the undelete package removes empty directories it will remove the webif-autoshrink folder if there are no files in it (as it should do).
This means that the sweeper rule disappears and has to be reinstated. I have saved the 'text' version of my rule and reinstate it as necessary into the text editor of the sweeper screen once the webif-autoshrink folder reappears.

BH - I think I have learned a few useful things from this exercise but, as I am sure you will agree, I should just let the system sort it out from now on...

Last edited:
When I run the diag dustbin/empty it does so I am probably mistaken. However something does on the first boot of the day...

Back