Synology NAS (DS120j)

Bogbody

Up until a few days ago I used a shared folder on a WDMycloud NAS as a virtual drive on the foxsat HD.
Unfoetunatly I was forced to replace the aged NAS with a new one (support has ended and there is an active exploit out in the wild).
The Synology NAS won't allow the foxsat HD to mount a virtual drive. It pings ok but fails with "permission denied".
With Linux one needs to usev WeBDav HTTPS conection to access the NAS my understanding is that the foxsat uses smb?
So is it an impass without a new app/program/driver for the foxsat?

A little bit of research comes up with this :

So, without programmer input (which alas I can not offer) it's not possible to connect to a Synology NAS by using CIFS or NFS.
SMBv1 is not recommended as it has several problems ----- not encrypted, has active exploits out there and has been used to initiate ransomwear attacks.
Looks like I'll need to use the Sneaker Net and a USB hard drive. :)

Perhaps it's time to look at using SMBv3, CIFS, NFS ? :)

SMB1 ??? errr no! Thats heavily compromised and easily cracked.
So... I take it your home network isn't behind a firewall and is available for the world to exploit? Perhaps you should worry about whether anyone can access your network at all, not whether SMBv1 isn't suitable for enterprise-class systems. Or are you connecting a Foxsat to an enterprise network???

So, even if it worked, its not an option!
You seem not to understand. If you want to use SMB with your Foxsat CF, only SMBv1 is available! That's what prpr was hinting at above.

If you were using your old NAS as you say, then you were using SMBv1 and that's why the new NAS won't work... but please note the firmware version issue ML referred to in post 3.

Perhaps it's time to look at using SMBv3, CIFS, NFS ? :)
I'm not sure what the smiley faces are about. Your "little bit of research" has failed to get into you that we are unable to add SMB3 to our HDR-FOXes, let alone a Foxsat (which has less capable hardware). Further, CIFS is the client end of SMB, so that's no good to you. You could try NFS, because that's already available in the HDR-FOX CF and therefore might be available in the Foxsat CF too – read the documentation available through the Foxsat WebIF.

It's no good stamping your foot and saying "that's not good enough" – that's all there is. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Tie up your high horse up over there BH !
Wow .... now steady on a bit.. no lecture is required here.

Back