System flush

Robti

Hi I know how to d/l it but is there somewhere to tell how to use it and what exactly it does ?
Thanks

All you do to use it is run it just like a firmware update. What it does is force the standard firmware to rebuild the databases.

Is what it says on the wiki page not sufficient?:
Install as standard firmware update to perform a full system flush and reset. This is designed to assist recovery from crash/reboot loops and to clear everything out after running RMA mode.

Your recordings will not be affected.

NB: This will also clear most CFW package settings.

Maybe it could say "install as per standard firmware..."

To be precise, it reformats the areas of flash used for persistent data like the schedule. There are two of these flash areas and they use the JFFS2 filesystem.

Playing devil's advocate...
Presumably it loads and runs within just a few seconds
Is there a way to know that it has run?
Does it create any output anywhere?

sorry to resurrect this old thread.

after the brief hiccup last month the unit has started cycling through the start up screen since sunday. it does two sets of humax logo/humax logo/green screen, then it makes the HD start up noise before going back to sleep. the next time it boots up just fine without a sound and instantly.

i was wondering if this system flush is the right way to go next? there is very little information about what it does , and more importantly, what you need to do after it?

from what i can see it's added to the unit in the same way as the CFW updates? after that do i have to do another CFW update, or is this unaffected by the system flush? also if the system is cycling would it even pick up these files from my USB?

thanks in advance!

there is very little information about what it does
What more do you need...
To be precise, it reformats the areas of flash used for persistent data like the schedule. There are two of these flash areas and they use the JFFS2 filesystem.

after that do i have to do another CFW update, or is this unaffected by the system flush?
It's unaffected. The firmware update mechanism is hijacked to inject commands - there's no actual firmware update going on.

what you need to do after it?
Restore your recording schedule from backup.

also if the system is cycling would it even pick up these files from my USB?
The USB is checked for an update file pre-boot, every boot.

it does two sets of humax logo/humax logo/green screen, then it makes the HD start up noise before going back to sleep.
That sounds like the auto-schedule-restore process.

Last edited:
Well I finally got around to using the system flush and it seems to have done the trick thanks.

After it had done it's magic I had to do a rescan for channels, and then assumed the auto schedule restore would kick in and do it's stuff.

However the restore schedule isn't working. I have tried 3 or 4 times now. If I click 'view backup' then everything is there, and I reboot the unit using the button on screen (and on the unit) , it runs through everything as normal but doesn't apply any of the schedule.

Has anyone got any clues please, it's not the end of the world to recreate my favourites list and set up any recordings, but it'd be nice to know what has gone wrong.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure this message will mean something to those in the know?

> What auto-schedule-restore depends on

auto-schedule-restore depends on:
webif (>= 1.0.16)
Collected errors:
* pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/reset.list: No such file or directory.

Update :

It's not fixed at all! I tried to have a go myself by using fix-flash-packages.

I came back from the shops and it's done the cycle of boots/green screen/boots/green screen/sleep again. So I assume it's reset what the system flush undid?

However, upon repeating the restore schedule it has done that!

I'll await further instructions...

Well, obviously I'm not looking over your shoulder to check what you're doing, but as you're suffering start-up problems and hoped system flush might cure them, but they're back... it sounds like a fatal fault somewhere, possibly in some critical memory.

Hmmm I see where you're coming from but is there no link between the problem being solved, by the flush, and then beginning again after i'd used the fix-flash-packages?

If I hadn't done that then it seemed like it was sorted. it was only when I wanted to force the schedule restore that the problem returned?

Did the error message posted above mean anything to you or the others that run this place?

BTW the disk check didn't flag any problems despite what everything else might point to?

I'm not terribly worried about auto-schedule-restore, there are plenty of things which could trip it up. I am more concerned that manual restore followed by reboot seemed not to do anything (although why you would feel the need to reboot by presumably power cycling as well as rebooting via WebIF link escapes me).

You also seem to be confusing the functions of the HDD with those of the internal Flash/NVRAM.

Is it so difficult to believe System Flush cleared out the NVRAM and stopped the start-up crashing but then writing something into it (eg a recording schedule) corrupted it again?

But it did do something, it fixed the problem! it only reappeared after I used fix-flash-packages. I simply tried both methods in case the pc wasnt communicating with the humax box as they're in different rooms so i didn't know if it had rebooted or not.

You're right though, I know nothing of the workings of these machines, and you're also probably right that adding a recording schedule corrupted it again.

So the auto-schedule-restore not working is a common enough thing and just a coincidence in this case?

Cheers for your time and patience once again.

it only reappeared after I used fix-flash-packages
That still involves the Flash, but I'm not clear what you were trying to achieve. You said it wasn't fixed, but I don't know what the "it" was.

You need to go back to baseline and assess the overall health of your unit with standard everything. Install standard firmware 1.03.12 (no CF), perform a Factory Reset (no need to reformat the HDD) – Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default. Tune it and set a few recordings. See what happens.

Back