Thank you for customised firmware and a question about automatically extracting files to mpg

redghost

I have just started using the Humax HDR Fox T2 customised firmware and think it is completely fantastic. I previously had a topfield TF5800 with modified firmware and thought that was great but the Humax customised firmware is even better. Thank you to all the developers. Brilliant.

As I have been using it I was wondering if there is any way to automatically extract files to mpg? I can see that it is easy enough to extract individual files from the webif but is there a way i can set a folder to automatically extract to mpg all the files that are placed in it - along the lines the way auto decrypt or unencrypt works perhaps?

Thanks

Red

ffmpeg is available as a package. I guess it's possible to find a list of new files then pass those into an ffmpeg command, run it from cron to process daily. I suspect this will put a big load on the limited hardware.
I think it would be better to use a computer and connect to the T2 (ssh or ftp) & mount the video files directory & handle the processing there. You should run into less chance of the T2 using 100% of cpu all day encoding files, that may make the epg & menus slower.

I'm new here too, so see if others have better ideas.

The extract to mpg on the Humax gets around the 100% CPU problem by doing an extract without conversion, as you say any conversion is really out of the question while the Humax is also being a TV tuner, It would be possible to extract with conversion over night (while the Humax was out of standby) but you still have the problem of it running out of time and having to stop half way through a conversion

Converting .TS to .MPG is not a CPU bound operation IMHO. I think the Humax should be more than capable of doing it on the fly after the recording has finished, in the same way as Auto-decrypt or Shrink.

As I have been using it I was wondering if there is any way to automatically extract files to mpg? I can see that it is easy enough to extract individual files from the webif but is there a way i can set a folder to automatically extract to mpg all the files that are placed in it - along the lines the way auto decrypt or unencrypt works perhaps?

Yes, I can add that feature for you. It may take a day or two as I have a few other things to finish/fix first.

Yes, I can add that feature for you. It may take a day or two as I have a few other things to finish/fix first.

Thank you for the very swift response. It would be really great to try this out.

I don't know anything about video files but from the other replies I do have a concern that this will take too much of the CPU in the Humax. Am I right to assume that this will be ok because there is no conversion but rather the ts files includes the mpg and needs the other parts to be removed? Probably showing my ignorance here :)

Thanks again

Red

I don't know anything about video files but from the other replies I do have a concern that this will take too much of the CPU in the Humax. Am I right to assume that this will be ok because there is no conversion but rather the ts files includes the mpg and needs the other parts to be removed? Probably showing my ignorance here :)

It won't cause CPU issues. The conversion to MPG just repackages the existing audio and video streams while discarding broadcast data. It doesn't do any transcoding, which would be beyond the capabilities of the Humax processor.

Am I right to assume that this will be ok because there is no conversion but rather the ts files includes the mpg and needs the other parts to be removed? Probably showing my ignorance here :)

Yes, a standard definition TS file contains an mpeg2 video stream with a certain number of pixels, a certain bit rate, a certain audio format etc. so to extract it from the TS doesn't involve changing the format. This is the point I was making in #3, the CPU can cope with this, however if you want the MP3 layer layer 7 audio track to be converted to an MP3 layer 3 (the more common format) for example, that is where excessive CPU usage is encountered. af123's auto-extract-to-mpeg would be doing the same as the manual extract to mpeg repeatedly
BTW
It is possible to rename a standard definition file like name.ts to name.mpg and play it using most mpg players without any further modification

Apologies for causing the confusion about CPU usage. I was assuming the ts files would be transcoded, it sounds like this could be another great feature :)

Back