That old 61mb Samba problem

Jon2013

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I have been using the product of your excellent work for a year or so now. So thanks for that.:)
Unfortunately my HDR-T2 died before Christmas - sniff, but it was within warranty and Humax replaced it - Hurrah!
I managed to copy some unwatched recordings to my Synology NAS before the last machine finally gave up the ghost and am now trying to copy them to the new machine.
However I seem to have run into the 61mb samba problem which was reported on the thread:
"61mb-remaining-space.2614"

,,..or have I? because I can copy files of up to 1.3Gb without problem. However copying those >3Gb bring up the 61mb message (screen cap below).

I had added the My Video section to smb.conf, but it doesn't appear to be doing the complete job.

I am copying from the NAS to the Humax using a Windows 7 laptop.
Of course I could always copy to a USB and then the Humax but this is doing my head in.

Does anyone have any thoughts on something I am missing? Any help will be gratefully received!

This is the smb.conf file content:
[global]
coding system = utf8
load printers = no
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
disable spoolss = yes
guest account = root
guest ok = yes
security = share
encrypt passwords = yes
null passwords = yes
server string = Samba HDR-Fox-T2
workgroup = HOME
netbios name = %h
client code page=850
character set = iso8859-1
case sensitive = yes
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
interfaces = %h/24
hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 172.16.0.0/255.240.0.0 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0

[Media]
comment = Media
path = /media
public = yes
writable = yes
browsable = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
hide dot files = no

[My Video]
comment = My Video
path = /media/My Video
public = yes
writable = yes
browsable = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
hide dot files = no

and this is the Windows error message: (sorry can't seem to post a screen capture image)
"There was not enough space for this item"...."Free up space from this disk and try again"
My Video (\\Humax\Media)
Space Free: 61.0 MB
Total size: 61.0MB

The problem is that providing access to the Humax drive as a Samba mount does not provide an accurate figure to an external client of the actual available disk space, I don't fully understand the details but I believe it is something to do with the way storage is organised in the Humax file system.

My recommendation is to do it the other way around: use CIFS on the Humax to mount the NAS as a virtual USB (network-shares-automount package), then copy the content across using the Humax SUI or the WebIF (or even Telnet CLI). That way it is the Humax OS that is in charge of the transfer, and it will know the true amount of storage available.

The problem is that providing access to the Humax drive as a Samba mount does not provide an accurate figure to an external client of the actual available disk space, I don't fully understand the details but I believe it is something to do with the way storage is organised in the Humax file system.

My recommendation is to do it the other way around: use CIFS on the Humax to mount the NAS as a virtual USB (network-shares-automount package), then copy the content across using the Humax SUI or the WebIF (or even Telnet CLI). That way it is the Humax OS that is in charge of the transfer, and it will know the true amount of storage available.

Thanks Black Hole, I had already tried copying it from the Humax and while it added the File for Copy, the copy just seemed to disappear into a..um.. a dark place with a strong gravitational field. I hadn't thought of copying from the Share via Web-if though, and this worked fine. Thanks again for your help.

Back