"The USB storage device is no longer detected" on HD-Fox T2

ant_in_wales

Hello all
I need my 10yo Fox T2 with external HDD to hang on just a little longer while LG (painfully slowly) fix the USB recording on my brand new TV.
But the other day I got a message saying "The USB storage device is no longer detected. Recordings may be affected, and damages may occur to the files."

The machine doesn't seem happy with any USB HDDs any more, and a replacement failed its formatting immediately.
Has anyone else seen this? Do we think it's definitely the Humax? Is there any sort of hard reset which might kick it back into life?

Best wishes to you all.

Has anyone else seen this?
Yes, many a time.

Do we think it's definitely the Humax?
Not necessarily, the HDD could be on the blink – they don't last forever, and portable drives are not built for this kind of duty. What happens if you unplug it and plug it back in (live)? What happens if you reboot? Security of the USB connection is definitely a factor, as is the ability of the USB port to supply adequate current.

In another thread (somewhere) I am stress-testing external drives for HD-FOX. A quick summary is that UPDs don't survive long, particularly if not cased in metal so the heat has a route out, and I killed a first-generation SSD in a matter of weeks. A modern SSD is doing well, except the USB caddy housing it is itself a bit flakey. It's running 24/7 and only occasionally has a spasm, resolved by me wiggling it.

Dry joint on the USB socket connector would probably be my first guess.
That is possible, but so is a poor contact between the USB socket and plug.

Dry joint on the USB socket connector would probably be my first guess.
Thank for PPR. I think the problem is the socket on the Humax too, as the disk reads fine on Linux laptop and Humax couldn't format other drives.
I'm not familiar with "dry joints". Do you think I need to open it up and re-solder the connection? Is this tricky?

I would keep an eye on it for now, and suspect a poor connection before resorting to a dry joint.

Do you think I need to open it up and re-solder the connection?
If it is that, then yes. But it's probably worth a bit of experimentation to see if you can prove it. I eventually found that holding the connector in a certain place made it work (but I was only using it to install CF, so only a few seconds - obviously this is no use for a storage drive).
Is this tricky?
It depends on what equipment you have and your skill level. I've never had an HD to bits so I don't know.

Back