Thomson/Green Valley ADVC-HD50

Stonecello

I was wondering if the HD encryption is in situ when using a converter such as the HD50 to convert HD video to HDV (lossless compressed HD format)? The converter would sit between the Humax box and my PC...! It is expensive, and taking a "suck it and see" approach <<<ouch>>> :-D

I was wondering if the HD encryption is in situ when using a converter such as the HD50 to convert HD video to HDV (lossless compressed HD format)? The converter would sit between the Humax box and my PC...! It is expensive, and taking a "suck it and see" approach <<<ouch>>> :-D

The encryption usually referred to on this forum (and WiKi HERE), applies to the media when it is on the Hard disk. There are various ways shown in the link to remove this encryption, however the media will be decrypted before being sent to the HDMI connector where you would connect your HD50 converter so the methods listed don't really apply. HDMI itself has copy protection of a different sort and as far as I'm aware is no different to any other HDMI data. So if the HD50 is capable of providing HDMI handshaking with the Humax it should work. I would say though, that there are easier (and much cheaper) ways of getting a playable copy of both Hi-Def and Standard-Def content from the Humax, as detailed in the link

Back