To buy or not to buy?

Criky

Much satisfaction and pleasure from my current HDR FoxT2 but its failure to provide properly sync'd subtitles ( I have hearing problems - amongst others) is I regret the death knell. See my recent thread and replies on other forum. Great fan of Humax over many years but I worry about the current model FVP-5000T and seek your help and advice. It seems sometime since a similar 'advice' question was tabled here.

1. Still seems popular and despite two years old will continue to be marketed as long as sales and margin figures are satisfactory. Prices seem to be holding.
2. Doubtless a '10,000T' is locked away somewhere ready for launch but not until above changes.
3. It does seem plagued with many issues; many due to operator error but quite a few due to design
4. I need surety first in its dealing with subtitles properly - my main reason for seeking change.
5. There seems many repetitive and fundamental issues that indicates the current model is not doing what it should (with the item 2. caveat). I see little evidence of a super software update that deals with these issues. Guess many are un-repairable.
6. Like most I am highly sceptical about 'ratings'. Amazon is one of the very few that gives me some trust. Less than half entirely satisfied with surprising 16% giving only one star. This is not good. Have to add that several of the other retailers show less than excellent patterns although the hi fi press sees it as five star. My appreciation to Humax for being honourable in not bumping up many of the ratings.
7. I am old and defective myself but there was a time when you paid a handsome sum of money (c£200) for a quality product that worked and was reliable. Feed it with 240, a good signal and cosy shelf. It did what it said, certainly not generating the many questions I have started to look at here and elsewhere.
8. Does anyone know of a new product launch with 'everything fixed'. Not sure if I will be here but is it worth waiting?
9. Are my concerns invalid; would you buy another or recommend?
10. Should I start lip reading courses and just continue to struggle with what otherwise is a splendid Fox machine?
Obliged for your thoughts.

Buy a 5000T from Amazon or JL and check it out first hand rather than relying on other people's comments.

If you are not 100% happy with the subtitle aspect, both vendors have an excellent 'pick up from your house' return service.
You have the Consumer Contract Regulations (June 2014) on your side with respect to distance selling, and if you pay on your credit card, you are bullet proof.

Much satisfaction and pleasure from my current HDR FoxT2 but its failure to provide properly sync'd subtitles ( I have hearing problems - amongst others) is I regret the death knell. See my recent thread and replies on other forum. Great fan of Humax over many years but I worry about the current model FVP-5000T and seek your help and advice. It seems sometime since a similar 'advice' question was tabled here.

1. Still seems popular and despite two years old will continue to be marketed as long as sales and margin figures are satisfactory. Prices seem to be holding.
2. Doubtless a '10,000T' is locked away somewhere ready for launch but not until above changes.
3. It does seem plagued with many issues; many due to operator error but quite a few due to design
4. I need surety first in its dealing with subtitles properly - my main reason for seeking change.
In my experience the FVP-5000T is pretty much faultless in its subtitle handling.
5. There seems many repetitive and fundamental issues that indicates the current model is not doing what it should (with the item 2. caveat). I see little evidence of a super software update that deals with these issues. Guess many are un-repairable.
This is a "Marmite" box; some love it and some hate it. I am midway between the two camps. I am happy with the ability to record three programs at once, I love the fact that subtitles work properly, I like the fact that the problem with sound blips when connected to a modern LG TV which cursed the HDR-FOX T2 isn't present and I like having a backwards EPG giving convenient access to catch up. I am disappointed that whilst general recording performance is satisfactory, it doesn't behave as well in situations where the EPG data is being changed in real time because of an over-running previous programme. I get irritated by the inconsistent behaviour of the UI. A significant number of people can't accept the speed of the user interface. It has improved since the early versions on the FVP-4000T but nobody would describe it as fast; perhaps because I am getting old it doesn't bother me.
6. Like most I am highly sceptical about 'ratings'. Amazon is one of the very few that gives me some trust. Less than half entirely satisfied with surprising 16% giving only one star. This is not good. Have to add that several of the other retailers show less than excellent patterns although the hi fi press sees it as five star. My appreciation to Humax for being honourable in not bumping up many of the ratings.
You need to be careful about the reviews on Amazon; some are from idiots, some are talking about issues that have since been resolved and some have perfectly valid points. I wouldn't discount the box on the basis of other people's opinions. Go and try one in a showroom and then buy on line so that you can return it without question if it turns out you hate it.

Good idea - thank you. I am not sure I would be testing all the features and whilst not relying on others comments there are opinions which I would like to think about. Thanks for thoughts.

Whilst I might eventually 'try' a box to see if it suits, it's the longer term issues that are often highlighted and of interest to me. This forum and site seem excellent in unearthing the lesser known and high mileage issues. It is these that I want to see and to consider. e.g had not realised there was a response time problem - which would annoy me greatly. My Fox is fine on this and the speed of light has not changed recently that I am aware of. Why such silly design errors when I thought we were all about progress.
Will also consider John Lewis as a retailer who are price competitive ( there's some fixing going on) and they give a 2 year warranty which I think is different to most.
I think the Marmite box theory is sound and also supports the review statistics which I fully accept need view with caution.
Comments to date appreciated.

Humax themselves give a two year warranty, providing you register with them. With JL you know who to call in year 2. With a Humax warranty you probably don't get in touch with the original retailer but with Humax (in the second year). I've never had to use the Humax warranty. I have had problems with JL's warranty (for my computer). Needless to say, I don't trust JL's warranty.

Back