Transferring files from Foxsat-HDR to PC via USB

Greyplover

Two to three years ago I successfully transferred files from my Foxsat box to my PC using USB memory stick/s. I then converted the .ts files to .MP4 using WinX HD Video Converter.

When I have tried to repeat this process recently I get ' This folder is empty' message in File Explorer even though the Properties dialogue box indicates that the USB stick contains data.

I have used different USB sticks, all formatted to FAT32 by both Quick and 'slow' formatting options.

The file/s on the USB stick play back on the Humax box so they are definitely on the stick.

I'm wondering if this is a Windows 10 issue? Can anyone help please?

Windows 10 is no different to any other. Are these HD recordings by any chance, if so they are encrypted. SD is decrypted on copying to USB. The Custom Firmware allows copying direct to a PC and a solution to future HD recordings as well. Should be no container change required, there are lots of media players that will play back mpeg2 (SD) and H264/AVC (HD) in a transport stream container. If SD simply changing the .ts to .mpg often works.

It is being HD that is the problem, Windoze is scanning each file for its video length and taking forever. Thus the listing never appears. TS-DOCTOR can fix this, but is there a free alternative?

Unencrypted files show up in my Windows machine over a network connection. So why don't they show when loaded on to a USB drive (unencrypted or not)? They are just a file.

Windoze is trying to create the directory listing, and for video that includes a thumbnail and length and other details. Perhaps Humax does not present these well.

It is being HD that is the problem, Windoze is scanning each file for its video length and taking forever.
Interesting; is it because it is encrypted that it is getting confused? Does it identify potential video files from the extension or in some other way?

I'm talking off the top of my head here, but if Win10 is trying to be "helpful" and analyse a file from its content before presenting a directory entry, of course it will be slow when dealing with video files (especially HiDef, but the OP said Fat32 so that's unlikely), and stall completely if dealing with encrypted files (which would still be accessible to the Humax).

Could it be that the OP somehow had Nowster's patch installed previously and has since become uninstalled (by a firmware update)?

Graham and others
Thanks for all your responses. Just to confirm - the files I have been trying to copy are not HD files. I recorded a program last night in SD to confirm that it was invisible in Windows 10 File Explorer.

Graham - I'm afraid you lost me after your first three short sentences, my technical know how is very basic I'm afraid.
Thanks all
Dennis

So what does a command prompt DIR command show? What do the filenames look like?

Do the files appear when you press F5?

Command prompt DIR shows "File not found"
I've pressed F5 in Command Prompt and File Explorer with no effect.
Thanks Mike

Next question. Are they hidden or marked as system files?

DIR /A

Ah, that would do it.
Explorer > View then check 'Hidden items' (might as well check 'File name extensions' while you are at it.)

(might as well check 'File name extensions' while you are at it.)
Definitely. Windows' default behaviour of hiding file extensions to "protect" the casual user from "unnecessary" detail leads to no end of confusion.

...leads to no end of confusion.
It's the malware that gets overlooked that's the real problem of this brain-dead attitude from M$. Some people "always click yes" whatever the question is. It's no wonder so many people suffer, but then I suppose it's a form of Darwin's law.

I suppose the worst is a .exe that has a filename something.txt.exe - without the extension turned on, you see "something.txt" and assume it's innocent.

However, the problem I get is trying to explain what the files are when somebody (say) generates a PDF from a word processor file and they're both sitting there in the folder with the same name (the .odt and the .pdf being hidden). THey click on the PDF and it opens for viewing, and they have no idea why they can't edit it. I make sure the extensions are turned on and at least they can then see the difference and have it explained.

Mike & others
I hope I understood the question - I have attached two pics of the Command Prompt response to two USB sticks, A Buffalo 2GB (USB2) and a San Disk Cruzer 32GB. Both show the data of the 'hidden' files but no details - the same as the Properties dialog box in File Explorer. BTW I do have 'hidden files' and 'file extensions' ticked in FE.
Dennis

Attachments

• Buffalo2GB.JPG
    Buffalo2GB.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Cruzer32GB.JPG
    Cruzer32GB.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 12
Indeed! Very strange! So what does it look like on other versions of Windoze? The video files are all in the root directory?

I know a file starting with a colon will not show, but this is weird!

Have you run a disk check?

Back