Trigger Warnings

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
The EPG guidance says "contains strong language" – fair enough – but according to the continuity announcer, Warship: Life At Sea "contains offensive language".

According to whom? Are we now being told what to find offensive? Tsk. Resistance is futile.

Everything will offend someone, so the broadcasters apply boilerplate warnings against any potential complainants.

Same when you phone almost any business (or doctors) ... You have to wait through endless messages about your data, your options, your right to kill yourself while on hold but not to hold them responsible, etc. It's just a massive waste of time and productivity because a proportion of the population are morons who think they can make an easy buck by suing for [being a moron].
:dunno:

According to whom? Are we now being told what to find offensive? Tsk. Resistance is futile.
Not in the EPG but nearly everything on Talking Pictures TV has a warning. This programme/ film was made in the [insert year or decade] and contains outdated attitudes and language that some viewers may find offensive. Even Forces TV has put similar warnings on old comedies. Old radio comedies are having sketches cut out, according to a report I read the other day. That’ll be the last we hear of the ISIRTA sketch where Bill Oddie is put in the oven because they don’t have a “non-white” actor to play a part.

Same when you phone almost any business (or doctors) ... You have to wait through endless messages about your data
Rang the GP surgery yesterday. Before the ring tone messages about surgery not administering the covid vaccinations, even though it is used for this purpose at the weekend. Ring 111 for this 119 for that. We don’t prescribe antibiotics for this or that see your pharmacy if you have a cold or flu. Couple of rings, we know you’re waiting but we are extremely busy, then the dreaded music before I’m passed to “the next available agent”. What’s worse, had to ring back a couple of hours later and got it all again.

some viewers may find offensive
Yes, but at least that statement admits others might not. What I object to is the categorical statement in my example.

In the event, it was just a few swear words. No racial slurs, no fat shaming, no anti-LGBTQXYZ rhetoric. In fact, nothing to get upset about at all, unless you're of an age which wore tight corsets and had an attack of the vapours if anyone so much as mentioned bare flesh.

Yes, but at least that statement admits others might not. What I object to is the categorical statement in my example.

In the event, it was just a few swear words. No racial slurs, no fat shaming, no anti-LGBTQXYZ rhetoric. In fact, nothing to get upset about at all, unless you're of an age which wore tight corsets and had an attack of the vapours if anyone so much as mentioned bare flesh.
Point taken. Many of these statements are to keep OFCOM on side. TPTV has had a couple of run-ins with OFCOM and (I think) is on a warning they will be fined the next time, so nearly everything gets the warning messages.
I've probably said before - what really p's me off is when the warnings are given but the sound is dipped or a programme is censored anyway. Schedule things properly (after 9pm), give a warning (if necessary) and leave the programme alone. In most, if not all, cases I believe the programme/film should be shown in the original uncensored form. I'm old enough and ugly enough not to be offended.
"anti-LGBTQXYZ" :rolling: I've lost track of what all these initials are supposed to mean (Yes I know you've added some of your own to make a point).

Back