Tunefix Settings: Problem re-adding Red Button channel

Dave F.

Hi
I've a problem adding the Red Button (Freeview 601) back into my viewable channels.

There were two channels listed, 'RB1' & 'Red Button' I've never understood the difference, could someone explain please.

I'd previously added them, along with other channels, to the 'Remove by name' list. I now wish to view them again, so I removed them from that list, Saved Changes & performed reboots from Webif & the remote. That was 3 days ago, they've still not reappeared.

I've checked /mod/boot/tunefix.conf. They're not listed there.
How do I resolve?

How do I resolve?
You have to re-tune the mux. Once deleted (manually, or by tunefix etc), they need re-inserting into the tuning database. It can be done (or so I understand, by tunefix-update), but as a user you need to retune to get them back (but make sure tunefix won't delete them again!).

What I would do is uninstall tunefix, do a full retune, then reinstate tunefix and configure it to my liking (not deleting services I don't understand!), and then reboot to action the configuration.

There were two channels listed, 'RB1' & 'Red Button' I've never understood the difference, could someone explain please.
"Red Button" is a data service only, and provides the teletext-like overlay text for when you press the red button while watching BBC services. In theory, the other broadcasters could run their own red button services, but I don't think any do. Video services linked via Red Button are carried on RB1, RB2 etc (the number of feeds changes, eg more are added to cover Wimbledon).

Last edited:
How do I resolve?
As BH says, you need to re-tune the PSB1 mux. - things won't magically reappear, in the same way things don't get added or changed when the broadcasters change things around.

If you are feeling adventurous, you can copy'n'paste the following into /mod/boot/tunefix-update.conf using either a text editor or the Webif's file editor.
You will need to create this file - it will not exist. You do not need the tunefix-update package installed to do this, only tunefix.
Code:
CLONE|BBC FOUR|250|BBC Red Button|4416|1|1|1|0|0|2700|8192|8192|8191|0|1|fp.bbc.co.uk
CLONE|BBC FOUR|601|BBC RB 1|7168|1|1|1|1|1|900|901|951|901|0|1|fp.bbc.co.uk
Then you need to reboot. 601 is the video service, 250 the data service.

(It's 3-4 to the unknown currently! I should retune one of my boxes to Wenvoe for HD...)

Last edited:
I presummed (obviously incorrectly) tunefix-update automatically added & removed channels, negating the need to do it manually. If it can perform a retune to update channels set by Freeview/Arqiva etc is there a reason it can't perform similar for user settings?

Last edited:
tunefix-update does that (by database manipulation, not by re-tuning), and it does it when I tell it, by virtue of issuing an updated package which gets automatically installed, for everybody the same.
It does not cater, nor can it, for the whims of individual users (aside from following the instructions in #3).

If you are feeling adventurous, you can copy'n'paste the following into /mod/boot/tunefix-update.conf using either a text editor or the Webif's file editor.
You will need to create this file - it will not exist. You do not need the tunefix-update package installed to do this, only tunefix.
Code:
CLONE|250|BBC Red Button|4416|1|1|1|0|0|2700|8192|8192|8191|0|1|fp.bbc.co.uk
CLONE|601|BBC RB 1|7168|1|1|1|1|1|900|901|951|901|0|1|fp.bbc.co.uk
Then you need to reboot.
I'm attempting to insert a dummy radio entry into my HDR.

Those two examples don't appear to reference an existing entry, nor state which mux it is on.
How does it know which usTsId to use for the "CLONE"?

Also is the final "1" in those two examples the eOrgSvcType?

Last edited:
There is also a CLONE1 that does include the mux and so I have now used that and it appears to be working as intended.

I'm still unclear what the penultimate parameter is for.
I've tried both 1 and 2 in the penultimate parameter and can't tell the difference so far
Code:
CLONE1|99|.                              .|6099|2|0|1|0|1|8192|8192|8192|8192|4167|0|1|fp.bbc.co.uk
CLONE1|7|.                              .|6007|2|0|1|0|1|8192|8192|8192|8192|4167|0|2|fp.bbc.co.uk

Those two examples don't appear to reference an existing entry, nor state which mux it is on.
How does it know which usTsId to use for the "CLONE"?
Some idiot made an error in those examples. Well spotted. There's a field missing. It should be like this:
Code:
CLONE|BBC FOUR|250|BBC Red Button|4416|1|1|1|0|0|2700|8192|8192|8191|0|1|fp.bbc.co.uk
Also is the final "1" in those two examples the eOrgSvcType?
Yes.
I'm still unclear what the penultimate parameter is for.
The Humax software stores several fields which don't seem to matter.

Back