Tuner sensitivity

davey64

Are the Tuners in the Aura less sensitive than the ones in the 500OT. Had the Aura for one week now and is prone to video and audio drop outs, looking at the signal monitor
it is about 40% strength and 95-100% quality. The TV it is connected to is getting through the RC loop 75% Strength and 100% quality.
The Humax 5000T which I also have is getting 75% strength and 100% quality. Neither the 5000T or the TV suffer from video and audio dropouts.
Software on the Aura has been updated to the software released in January this year.

The Humax 5000T which I also have is getting 75% strength and 100% quality. Neither the 5000T or the TV suffer from video and audio dropouts.
Software on the Aura has been updated to the software released in January this year.
I think there is evidence to suggest that the tuners are weaker than previous Humax models. There is new software in beta test which amongst other things is trying to fix pixilation problems not caused by the signal. Humax do seem to be more responsive to problems with the Aura than any of the other recent models. Might be worth giving their technical support a ring.

I have been getting drop outs too, recently, with 100%/100%. I retuned, but still the same.

I wrote an e-mail to Humax this morning and received a reply very quickly.
apparently it is my fault, of course it must be.

Here is what they said.

"Your TV has 1 tuner in it, so that one tuner gets 100% off the signal. The Aura has 3 tuners in it, so they are only getting a third of the signal strength each, so we have turned up the sensitivity of them so that they will work with a weaker signal, but 40% is far too low. I would recommend a signal booster."

This does not hold true as the Humax 5000T when using all three tuners shows it is getting 70% across all three, why do these companies come out with this rubbish.
I am already using a signal booster.
Why he mentions the TV getting 100% of the signal strength when it is the fourth tuner in the line is just idiocy as far as I can tell.

I think I will just send the Aura back and get a refund.

Oh and the other thing that was recommended was to go to their FAQ's, I mean really, what kind of support is that.

The Aura has 3 tuners in it, so they are only getting a third of the signal strength each
That might be true, but if it is either the designer or the bean counter should be shot. If it isn't true the customer support staff should be shot. What I expect is an input buffer stage with four outputs, one output for each tuner and the fourth for the pass-through.

we have turned up the sensitivity of them
Really? Is that a configuration parameter? What about noise?

Oh and the other thing that was recommended was to go to their FAQ's, I mean really, what kind of support is that.
Translation: "Everything the help desk knows is already in the FAQ, and we just read bits out to you".

What a load of Bolognese. Am I supposed not to use the pass through to my TV? If they can't pass the signal to each tuner, what is the point?

davey64, are you only getting drop outs when several recordings are happening?

What a load of Bolognese. Am I supposed not to use the pass through to my TV? If they can't pass the signal to each tuner, what is the point?

davey64, are you only getting drop outs when several recordings are happening?
Yes I thought it was a very poor reply, I give them evidence of other devices, one another Humax product which receives a 70% Signal strength
and yet it is down to me.
If they have upped the sensitivity of the tuners then why am I only getting about 40% Strength on the Aura.
Drop outs occur on normal broadcast and recordings.
Latest reply was where do I live, so that is the issue I am not in an Aura friendly location.
Although my location is central Edinburgh, receiving signal from Blackhill transmitter in Central Scotland is good enough for both TVs and the 5000T and an
older Humax 9150 (or whatever number it is) which i just got out to try, it gets a 70% signal also.
Perhaps I am just not wearing the correct clothes or I have the wrong colour eyes.

That might be true, but if it is either the designer or the bean counter should be shot. If it isn't true the customer support staff should be shot. What I expect is an input buffer stage with four outputs, one output for each tuner and the fourth for the pass-through.

Really? Is that a configuration parameter? What about noise?

Translation: "Everything the help desk knows is already in the FAQ, and we just read bits out to you".
Yes I thought their response was full of holes, if they have upped the sensitivity of the tuners in the Aura then why am I getting only 40% Strength, not cranked them up enough.

I can't believe the signal gets split in the three tuners, the 5000T does not do that I can have all three tuners there on 70% signal strength without any issues,
so are they really saying the Aura is not fit for purpose and it seems having a television connected to it is a problem too.

I just hooked up an older Humax 9150 or something and it gets a signal strength of 70%.

I have a little signal amplifier so that each bit of equipment gets its signal from that rather than pass through. Still, are they really saying that each tuner only gets 25% signal strength? That is crazy.

As for drop outs, that is a recent thing, and I suspect a recent update. Why no problems, then suddenly problems? Nothing else here has changed.

Ah, just noticed you said you have a signal booster. What is it like without that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a little signal amplifier so that each bit of equipment gets its signal from that rather than pass through. Still, are they really saying that each tuner only gets 25% signal strength? That is crazy.

As for drop outs, that is a recent thing, and I suspect a recent update. Why no problems, then suddenly problems? Nothing else here has changed.

Ah, just noticed you said you have a signal booster. What is it like without that?
Yes their inference is that when Tuner 1 is in operation then in my case the strength is 40%, if Tuner 2 gets used then that signal will drop to 20% on both and if three comes on then all three will be down to approx 13%,
which of course is of no earthly use to anyone. My 5000T does not do this it stays at 70% across all three when they are in use.
How is this supposed to be an 8k device when it has trouble processing a standard definition broadcast, yikes.

I have now been told to do a Factory Reset and retune manually which after I watch The Terror I may well do, just to tick the boxes.

You will not lose recordings by doing a reset unless you wipe or format the hdd.

You will not lose recordings by doing a reset unless you wipe or format the hdd.
Oh yeah I know, I was just keen to watch The Terror that is all, was watching Endeavour for the umpteenth time when The Terror was on.
I have both Humaxs' recording the same things anyway just in case the new kid in town decides to get all stroppy.

I just watched the channel4 news live at 7pm, no recordings, 100/100 quality and signal strength. Drop outs and stuttering all over the place. So, nothing to do with signal strength whatsoever.

To be nit-picking: a strength of "100" actually means >99, and you don't actually know how strong it is. it is not inconceivable that quality = 100 on quick inspection, but actually takes intermittent dives.

To be nit-picking: a strength of "100" actually means >99, and you don't actually know how strong it is. it is not inconceivable that quality = 100 on quick inspection, but actually takes intermittent dives.
Why? And why was it ok for months, but now shows these problems.

No, Humax have cocked up a f/w update. The aerial, box, transmitter have not changed. There are no problems with other tuners. I rest my case.

Are the Tuners in the Aura less sensitive than the ones in the 500OT. Had the Aura for one week now and is prone to video and audio drop outs, looking at the signal monitor
it is about 40% strength and 95-100% quality. The TV it is connected to is getting through the RC loop 75% Strength and 100% quality.
I had a similar problem with Aura 2Tb. It had fluctuating signal quality but only in the SD channels. Checked signal against 4000T on loop through. I Replaced it with another new Aura at Richersounds. Now no problem at all. Replace your Aura ASAP.

Back