TV Picture In Picture/Picture And Picture

bottletop

So, does anyone use these functions much on their TVs? If so how does it work on your make & model? I ask because on my old Sony 1080p TV it works like this:
Picture in picture (PIP)
A small (less than quarter sized) screen is shown within the big (full sized) screen of different source.
Picture and picture (PAP)
Vertical split screen so that left and right sides show different sources.

The issue I have is that both of these functions only allows me to select one source (HDMI, SCART, etc). The 2nd source will always be the in-built Digital TV receiver. My bugbear is that it won't let me select two external sources for PIP or PAP.
What's the experience of other forum members - can they suggest a make/model that has PIP or PAP function that will allow me to view any two external sources at the same time?
It's a feature that interests me and I'll add it to my list of requirements for my next TV purchase.

That sounds typical to me, I'm dubious you'll find consumer kit which will do anything else (not least because different functionality would have to be supported by the chip sets) but I stand to be proved wrong. I guess you might find it on a "monitor" as opposed to a "TV".

TBH it's not a feature I have craved, it's antisocial (OK for the man cave TV), and none of my current TVs have it. On the rare occasion I actually do want to monitor two screens at once (eg the live golf plus the leaderboard) I roll up a second screen.

Must admit that this is a feature I have not used in years. Instead I may well second / third / fourth screen while watching something on TV using my laptop, tablet or smartphone as and when the occasion arises.

I would assert that this is what most people do these days and consequently PIP is not a feature manufacturers bother providing in modern TV sets.

consequently PIP is not a feature manufacturers bother providing in modern TV sets
I think it is intended for checking when to change channel. However, with (apparently) the younger generations now not consuming TV in a real-time manner, that is no longer an issue.

It's a shame it's not a fashionable feature anymore. I find it useful on occasions and saves me having to lug another TV or monitor to the living room.
It's like the trend of TV with a pair of supports/stands instead of the old central column stand (that could hide the wires etc).
Or the old one of expecting everyone wanting 3D TV capability without much 3D source material!

I wouldn't say it's necessarily unfashionable or unavailable, you just have to shop for a non-budget TV. However, you were enquiring about PiP for two non-broadcast sources, not lack of PiP entirely.

DVB modulators are now much less expensive than they used to be, so if you are sufficiently motivated you can turn a HDMI source into a broadcast source and solve the problem that way.

For anyone else looking for this info for Sony TVs

Similar functions for other makes

Back