Unable to use WiFi channel 1

beneix

I have the custom firmware 3.00 build 2137 and when we recently changed WiFi-setup the Hummy lost its connection. It turns out that it is because it can't operate on channel 1. Now I have a crowded spectrum and channel 1 is really the only decent option, but then the Humax won't connect.

Strangely the Hummy sees the access point even when it is transmitting on channel 1 - it just can't connect.

The dongle I am using is the ubiquitous Edimax EW-7711UAn.

I don't believe there is a later version of (custom) firmware than what I have so I assume there is no fix for this? Can I use channel 1 if I switch to another dongle?

(I tested the dongle on a W7 laptop and then channel 1 works fine, so it is clearly the combo HDR-T2/dongle that doesn't like channel 1).

It was reported by users some years ago that channels 1 to 4 don't work when connecting the Humax, I documented this in the Wi-Ki FAQs HERE, however, since then users have said this is not the case. I therefore changed the channels 1 - 4 note assuming that this had been fixed in a later official firmware release. The Custom firmware won't be causing this problem but it may vary with the various 'official' firmware builds, so if you are using 1.02.20 or 1.02.32 it may may be worth switching to 1.03.12 mod 3.00

Last edited:
The problem is probably non-wifi interference in the 2.4 GHz band: this is most prevalent at the lower channels. There is no problem per se with the Humax and channel one. There is no custom firmware fix, and the Edimax EW-7711UAN is about the best dongle out there. How about channel 13? That is my channel of choice as it tends not to suffer badly from interference and a lot of WiFi set ups don't use it.

Might be worth grabbing a wifi analyser (I use Wifi Analyzer by farproc on Androids for having a sniff around). You may find all your neighbours are cluttering up channel 1. Stand near the Humax when using it as that may be nearer another person's wifi router then other devices in your building.

Might be worth grabbing a wifi analyser
Thanks. That is exactly how I chose channel 1 since it was the least crowded. It is a pity that the Humax doesn't want to play ball on that channel. I have now resorted to channel 11. The Android WiFi Analyzer says there is no better channel (apart from 1...).
There is no problem per se with the Humax and channel one.
Are you stating that based on personal experience with the HDR-T2 and the Edimax dongle?

Thanks. That is exactly how I chose channel 1 since it was the least crowded. It is a pity that the Humax doesn't want to play ball on that channel. I have now resorted to channel 11. The Android WiFi Analyzer says there is no better channel (apart from 1...).
Are you stating that based on personal experience with the HDR-T2 and the Edimax dongle?
Yes, I can't use channel 3 at all, but 1 is OK with slightly limited range (compared to high channels) again because of interference. The antenna on the Edimax EW-7711UAN makes it quite sensitive and increases the range relative to a more compact dongle. The Humax badged dongle these days is manufactured by Edimax: or at least identifies itself as an Edimax, but does not have the antenna and has lesser range. Ezra is right in that channels 1 to 4 used not to work on the HDR-FOX but this was fixed in one of the firmware updates.

To add, this is based on my own experience so is anecdotal, I found that twin channel operation (40MHz channel width, rather than 20MHz) can be problematic on the HDR-FOX. The connection tends to be flakier, with stuttery playback of high definition content across the network. I found single channel operation superior, wrt to both connection stability and playback quality.

Back