undelete and USB drives

ejstubbs

Having just recently enabled undelete, I'm now noticing that deleting files from my USB drive takes a lot longer than before (via the WebIF at least, I've not yet tried it via the user interface on the TV). It seems that this is because the delete operation is moving the file to the dustbin on the main HDD. I can imagine it might be even more problematic if you have a network drive set up to look like a USB drive on the Humax, as it might try to upload the file over the network to the dustbin on the main HDD, potentially an even more time-consuming operation. Is there any way to disable undelete for files on a USB drive?

Personally I use my USB as a place for recordings to go before they die e.g. the wife and I have watched the programme together, and she wants rid of it from My Video but I want to hang on to it for a while, maybe to re-watch it, maybe to move it off the box. In that context I don't mind too much if I accidentally delete a recording on the USB drive - for me the annoyance of the time it takes to copy it back to the main HDD outweighs the benefit gained in the exception case being able to retrieve an inadvertently deleted, but already watched, recording. But I can imagine that other people use the capability in a different way and would prefer to be able to retain the functionality, so some kind of configuration switch would be handy, if technically feasible.

I would expect files on a USB drive to be moved to a [Deleted] folder also on the USB drive and permanently deleted if this folder doesn't exist, I am not saying this is how it works, just that I would expect it to work this way

Interesting. I wasn't aware that deletion of items from USB was protected by undelete at all.

Is the USB drive mounted so that it appears under the My Video folder?
Can the Undelete hook tell whether it is not on the main drive or not?

Is the USB drive mounted so that it appears under the My Video folder?

Nope.

As I say, the reported behaviour is as observed when using the WebIF. I've yet to test it using the user interface on the TV screen. But as it happens I have an opportunity to do so just now, having transferred some recordings off from the USB drive earlier today. Watch this space...

Can confirm that deleting a recording from the USB drive via the TV screen UI does not cause a copy to be made in the dustbin on the internal HDD. Neither does it move the recording to a dustbin on the USB drive. The same goes for deleting recordings on the USB drive (including all sidecar files) via FTP. So it looks very much like it's only the WebIF that exhibits the unexpected behaviour.

Last edited:
The same goes for deleting recordings on the USB drive (including all sidecar files) via FTP.
FTP is never protected by undelete, nor SMB/NFS - only WebIF and SUI deletions are protected for HDD... USB is a moot point.

Back