Underpowered Tuner?

We know that late production models of the HDR_FOX T2 had a different tuner arrangement and superficially it appears to be the same tuner arrangement as the HDR-2000T. I am guessing that the main changes for the HDR-2000T were support for the new tuner arrangement and support for the new browser so somebody thought that rather than backport the changes to the existing HDR-FOX T2 code base they would fork the HDR2000T code to produce an HDR-FOX T2 version. This could all be complete nonsense but suggest a better reason for the improved tuning code having been lost.
But that would presumably have reverted the T2's tuning improvement (done in 1.02.32) in 1.03.12. This is not the case. So it is not as simple as you think.

But that would presumably have reverted the T2's tuning improvement (done in 1.02.32) in 1.03.12. This is not the case. So it is not as simple as you think.
No if you read post #18 I postulated that the initial fork was prior to 1.02.32. My observations here suggest that the tuning performance of 1.03.12 is similar to 1.02.29 and earlier; are you seeing something different?

Have I missed something? Is the HDR-FOX 1.03.12 tuning worse than 1.02.32?
Much worse as seen here. The last automatic tune with 1.03.12 pulled in channels from three different transmitters and the quality on one was so bad that it resulted in no picture. 1.02.32 tuned all mutiplexes to a single transmitter.

Much worse as seen here. The last automatic tune with 1.03.12 pulled in channels from three different transmitters and the quality on one was so bad that it resulted in no picture. 1.02.32 tuned all mutiplexes to a single transmitter.

Oh crap, my parents receive from Emley Moor and the Holmfirth repeater. My dad thinks he knows what he's doing and auto tunes the box, and gets cross if I retune it manually when I visit. 1.02.32 resolved this argument by auto tuning correctly. I just know he's not going to believe me that 1.03.12 has broken this, he'll insist there's no way something that was working can stop in a new version (he doesn't understand computers).

That clears up another issue though. I was debating moving them to AR, but not if auto tune for multiple transmitters is broken again. Sigh, dear Humax, get a clue...

Oh crap, my parents receive from Emley Moor and the Holmfirth repeater.
I wouldn't worry that much until it actually happens for you. My HDR-FOX T2s can receive from 2 transmitters, and occasionally a third. This morning I tried 3 auto retunes each with 1.03.12 and 1.2.32 and there was zero difference between the results despite the aerial receiving from 2 transmitters during the retunes.

The 3 retunes I tried on each version today were:
(1) Using good reception on both transmitters auto tune and select the transmitter that broadcasts on the highest frequencies.
Results were the same using 1.02.32 and 1.3.12.

(2) Using good reception on both transmitters auto tune and select the transmitter that broadcasts on the lowest frequencies.

(3) Change the aerial so that not all channels can be received from one of the transmitters; auto tune and select the transmitter where not all multiplexes can be received.

The results corresponded to the following logic:
(1) For the selected area store all channels in their designated LCNs;
(2) For the non-selected area(s) store channels in their designated LCN if that LCN is not yet used;
(3) If any of the channels not covered by (2) are variants from a different region than (1) then keep them in the 800 and 1000 range. These will be BBC1, ITV, ITV+1, and ITV HD from alternative regions;
(4) Ditch anything else bar channels that were too weak to be fully identifiable.

My parents only get one region to select, because it's Emley Moor plus one of it's repeaters (Holmfirth). So the box has to make all the decisions based on who knows what information. On 1.02.28 it was all over the place, mix and match muxes based largely on the last ones found I think. 1.02.31 and 1.02.32 did it perfectly, selecting everything from Emley Moor. It might just be selecting the best signal strength and/or best quality since the aerial is pointing at Emley Moor.

I can't used a bandpass filter or grouped aerial to sort this out because the frequencies are interleaved.

No if you read post #18 I postulated that the initial fork was prior to 1.02.32. My observations here suggest that the tuning performance of 1.03.12 is similar to 1.02.29 and earlier; are you seeing something different?
I've just retuned my spare box (1.03.12) and it selected all muxes from the same main transmitter. Prior to 1.02.32 it selected some from one and some from another. The behaviour with 1.03.12 is thus the same as 1.02.32 - the tuning works properly. It is NOT the same as 1.02.29 and earlier.

Back