Upgrade Failed

arbundy

Yesterday I tried to use the TV Portal on my HDR-Fox-T2 to view the BBC iPlayer. For the first time, this failed. I got an error message to say I needed to upgrade and to go to the Humax website to download the new firmware, as it had a fix. I've done this successfully previously. As far as I could tell, I followed the instructions to the letter. I downloaded the hdr_fox_upgrade.hdf file to a Fat32 USB stick (2 such sticks, actually). I unplugged the aerial from the back USB socket. I turned off the Humax using the on/off switch at the back. I inserted the USB stick in the front USB socket, and switched the on/off switch back on. The humax ignored the upgrade file and just came up on my usual HDM1 channel. I tried it with the other USB stick. I tried using the front standby button instead of the on/off switch. Nothing worked.

Can anybody give me a clue as to what else to try?

Thanks.

Check the file on the USB stick is not hdr_fox_upgrade.hdf.hdf using the command line.
And don't plug the aerial into the USB socket. You'll fry the pigeons that land on it.

Try plugging the stick into the back socket. Is it recognised in normal use in both sockets?

Yesterday I tried to use the TV Portal on my HDR-Fox-T2 to view the BBC iPlayer. For the first time, this failed.
Then you haven't tried to use iPlayer since last September – that's when it stopped working.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/iplayer-stopped-working.9882/

I got an error message to say I needed to upgrade and to go to the Humax website to download the new firmware
That's not an error message, it's an information message advising that there is a firmware revision available. The message will not go away even with the revised firmware, until Humax/BBC decide it has been there long enough and remove it.

Can anybody give me a clue as to what else to try?
Follow the firmware update instructions provided here: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/problem-connecting-to-humax-portal.681/page-3#post-8876

Check the file on the USB stick is not hdr_fox_upgrade.hdf.hdf using the command line.
And don't plug the aerial into the USB socket. You'll fry the pigeons that land on it.

Try plugging the stick into the back socket. Is it recognised in normal use in both sockets?
I used cmd to check for the double suffix, but that did not seem to be the problem. I also tried the back socket, but with no success. The USB stick is recognised in the front socket, but not in the back one. [Although the whatever you call the device I plug into the back socket to communicate with the modem, works fine.]

Then you haven't tried to use iPlayer since last September – that's when it stopped working.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/iplayer-stopped-working.9882/

That's not an error message, it's an information message advising that there is a firmware revision available. The message will not go away even with the revised firmware, until Humax/BBC decide it has been there long enough and remove it.

Follow the firmware update instructions provided here: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/problem-connecting-to-humax-portal.681/page-3#post-8876
I did follow these instructions. The only difference is that the file I downloaded from the Humax site wasn't a zip, but the hdf file itself. I will try reformatting. I've had to reformat this disk to Fat32 previously, and I needed to install a special app to do it.

I did follow these instructions. The only difference is that the file I downloaded from the Humax site wasn't a zip, but the hdf file itself. I will try reformatting. I've had to reformat this disk to Fat32 previously, and I needed to install a special app to do it.
Reformatting did not solve the problem. This is the same USB stick I use to transfer programmes from one Humax to another and it sometimes adds hidden metadata to the stick. Reformatting will have wiped this stuff, so it wasn't just this that was causing the problem.

Reformatting did not solve the problem. This is the same USB stick I use to transfer programmes from one Humax to another and it sometimes adds hidden metadata to the stick. Reformatting will have wiped this stuff, so it wasn't just this that was causing the problem.
Usually the problem is either the incorrect filename or incorrect format for the usb stick.
Double check both, eg the filename with only .hdf suffix, the partition being fat32 and partition scheme non-GPT style (sometimes called MBR/MS-DOS/BIOS/legacy).

Last edited:
I usually end up trying half a dozen USB drives before remembering that the one that works is actually an mp3 player that usually lives in the car!

It really can be a case of trial and error

This is the same USB stick I use to transfer programmes from one Humax to another and it sometimes adds hidden metadata to the stick.
The HDR-FOX does not add "hidden metadata", but Windows very well might. A HDR-FOX recording comprises typically four files .ts, .hmt, .nts, and .thm. All are relevant to playback on a HDR-FOX, only .ts is relevant to any other method of playback.

As the format for firmware update has to be FAT32, you are presumably aware that the maximum file size is 4GiB... and if you use the HDR-FOX to copy a file that is larger it will simply be truncated without warning.

You also need to be aware that the post-boot operating system for the HDR-FOX has access to a much greater range of USB storage drivers than the pre-boot firmware update mechanism. It is entirely possible that a UPD used successfully for file transfers might not be suitable for firmware updates, simply because of the driver required.

Reformatting did not solve the problem.
What version of WIndows are you using?

WIn10, and maybe even Win7, does not format a UPD to "plain" FAT32 when you ask it to. You can download a utility for the purpose, or maybe try a command line format.

See Things Every... (click) section 12.

Back