Upgrade hard drive and other queries ?

brackenlamb

I have just cancelled sky and want to purchase a non sat pvr and was wondering if this particular model can have the hard drive upgraded .I upgraded the sky hard drive quite easily.

I was looking at the youview version and was wondering if this version is better for me and the family to use .

I did like the menu system as it was very user friendly on sky and am hoping to find a hd freeview box that is similar .

I guess i like the idea of backing up things to a usb pen drive and if it is as simple as it sounds .
Could i drag a few programs to a us drive and watch them on something like a incar dvd player that has usb slot for viewing.
Thanks for your input

The 2000T is the successor to the HDR-FOX, and we like the HDR-FOX but so far the 2000T is more locked-down.

Yes, you would be able to install a new HDD of a suitable type, but just buy the 1TB version in the first place and be done with it. (How many hours of telly do you want to keep? If it's that important, don't you think it would be better stored safely off the box using external drives?) We are not certain what the limits are for the 2000T, but the HDR-FOX is not configured to use drives larger than 2TB.

YouView is a good idea badly implemented.

There is no problem copying recordings to an external drive, as long as they are StDef. See Things Every... (click) sections 5 and 12, and note that most of what applies to a HDR-FOX also applies to a 2000T. Humax might have removed the read-only restriction on NTFS drives, I am not sure. Also note there is no custom firmware for the 2000T (and might never be).

If you like "hacking", you would be better grabbing a HDR-FOX T2 before they disappear (see refurb "Grade A" models on Humax Direct).

There is a bit of differnce between the prices on the 500gb and the 1tb , but i do have a few hard drives from a old laptop and also a 2tb drive from my old sky hd box .
Is it possible to use the laptop drives to back up from the humax ? or possible to use the 2tb drive from the sky hd box , would i need to format it first ?
Also how family user friendly is this box as in ease to find something recorded etc

The HDR-FOX was the easiest to use of the PVRs trialled on the Gadget Show (but only compared with two others).

The Sky drive is more likely to be suitable than the PC drives, it will be engineered to cope with the duty cycle (continuous, low data rate) required in a PVR. It needs to be SATA though. Changing drives will of course invalidate the two-year (new 2000T) or one year (refurbished HDR-FOX) Humax warranty. Let the Humax do the formatting.

Is it possible to use the laptop drives to back up from the humax ?
Yes (assuming you mean mounted in a USB enclosure).
or possible to use the 2tb drive from the sky hd box , would i need to format it first ?
Do you mean for backup or installed in the Humax? If in the Humax what is the make and model of the drive?
Also how family user friendly is this box as in ease to find something recorded etc
My technophobe partner uses it without significant problem.

Back