Upgraded Samba package and now - can't connect.

Hi Guys,
I have just upgraded the Humax CF Samba package and now I can't connect any more. I get the error: Access denied.

Had samba working for some years no problem from a computer that is fixed on SMB1. My W10 PC would not connect as it uses SMB 2/3.
I've never set a username or password for this as I've never seen a configuration to do that.

So my most likely guess is it's either a user/password issue or SMB version issue, I don't know if the latest version has moved away from SMB1.

Thought I might have a look at smb.conf as I normally would but the Humax doesn't seem to have SSH. Fortunately FTP still works fine for file transfer.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks.

Bob.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what I'm seeing but it seems that with this new Samba on the Humax my SMB1 only computer can connect to the Humax fine and now to my surprise, so can my W10 pc. My W10 PC has SMB1 server switched on so that my SMB1 computer can connect to it BUT it has SMB1 client turned off and yet it connects to the new Samba on the Humax. Delighted!

I managed to get a look at smb.conf in the Humax and it has a line something like: max SMB 2. That suggests to me, it may well be intended to connect with SMB1 and SMB2 which would match with my observations. However, it would not surprise me if i was wrong.

Thanks again.

Bob.

the Humax doesn't seem to have SSH. Fortunately FTP still works fine for file transfer.
SSH is a secure version of Telnet, and is only really relevant if you are making command line access to the HDR-FOX available over a public network (or are paranoid). Any SSH client can usually do Telnet as well, you just have to set the right port number (23 for Telnet, 22 for SSH). Anyone knife-and-forking* a HDR-FOX with CF needs to be familiar with Telnet. If you particularly want SSH: install the dropbear-ssh package, and (optionally) secure the channel by turning off Telnet access in WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for dropbear package. Bear in mind any secure (encrypted) link implementation is far more resource-intensive than the plaintext version.

* Engineering slang: debugging/dissecting, having a poke around in the hardware or software as if laid out on a table (test bench) under your knife and fork (analysis tools).

FTP, on the other hand, provides access to the file system (as opposed to the operating system). If you've been able to access the /mod directory tree you must have installed betaftpd and not be relying on the Humax native FTP server (which is crippled to be only able to access media content). If you want SFTP (secure FTP) install the greenend-sftp package (requires dropbear-ssh), and (optionally) secure the channel by removing the betaftpd package.

I managed to get a look at smb.conf in the Humax and it has a line something like: max SMB 2. That suggests to me, it may well be intended to connect with SMB1 and SMB2 which would match with my observations. However, it would not surprise me if i was wrong.
The CF samba package on public non-beta release is definitely SMB1 only. There is a SMB2 version (samba v3) in beta, with potentially some wrinkles still to iron out. If you are interested in that see here: Beta Participation, and see the relevant thread HERE.

Hi Black Hole,

SSH is a secure version of Telnet, and is only really relevant if you are making command line access to the HDR-FOX available over a public network (or are paranoid).
It's just familiarity that's all. With all my other Linux devices I use SSH and amid a lot of (for me) unknowns, the more familiar SSH was desireable.

Any SSH client can usually do Telnet as well, you just have to set the right port number (23 for Telnet, 22 for SSH).
Certainly true for putty which I use.

Anyone knife-and-forking* a HDR-FOX with CF needs to be familiar with Telnet.

Knife and forking? That's a new one on me. :) .

If you particularly want SSH: install the dropbear-ssh package, and (optionally) secure the channel by turning off Telnet access in WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for dropbear package. Bear in mind any secure (encrypted) link implementation is far more resource-intensive than the plaintext version.

Yes, I have now installed dropbear-ssh but it's only for use within my home network.

I suppose I should have expected it but finding no Nano was a setback. Normally, I use SMB to edit files on other linux devices but when I couldn't connect, the only thing I could think of was SSH then Nano. Even though I dislike Nano.
* Engineering slang: debugging/dissecting, having a poke around in the hardware or software as if laid out on a table (test bench) under your knife and fork (analysis tools).

FTP, on the other hand, provides access to the file system (as opposed to the operating system). If you've been able to access the /mod directory tree you must have installed betaftpd and not be relying on the Humax native FTP server (which is crippled to be only able to access media content). If you want SFTP (secure FTP) install the greenend-sftp package (requires dropbear-ssh), and (optionally) secure the channel by removing the betaftpd package.

I only have ftp access to the media content.

The CF samba package on public non-beta release is definitely SMB1 only. There is a SMB2 version (samba v3) in beta, with potentially some wrinkles still to iron out. If you are interested in that see here: Beta Participation, and see the relevant thread HERE.

Thank you for that link, I'll have a good read.

I'm a bit puzzled then. My W10 machine has SMB1 server switched on so that my trusty RISC OS machine can access the PC's files. However, I have switched off SMB1 client on the W10 machine and as a consequence I have not been able to connect to Humax with SMB from W10 for some time, hence using FTP. I could however connect using SMB1 from RISC OS to the Humax using SMB1.

That was until last night when I installed Samba 3.6.25-1 on my Humax. This was offered as an upgrade with no mention of beta.

At first I couldn't connect with anything and started searching the forum for recent samba posts. In there I found that I needed to use 'root' as the user and no password.
Well, as soon as I tried that, RISC OS machine connected! Excellent SMB1 must be working.

But then I remebered what I'd seen in smb.conf, there is a line in there...

"max protocol = SMB2".

Call me naive but to me, that suggests a possibility of connecting via SMB2.

So I tried it from my W10 PC with SMB1 client switched OFF.

It connected fine. Big bonus.

So either the Windows10 SMB1 client switch doesn't work as it should, or my Humax can be connected to using SMB1 and SMB2 even at the same time.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob.

...or via the normal WebIF >> Package Management (you might need to "Show advanced packages").

User = "root"; password = PIN (default = "0000")
Thanks. I've done that and now have this running. Using it I modified smb.conf so it now also shares the 'mod' folder. That means I now have very easy access to most of the system should I ever need it. Thanks again.

Bob.

Nano is available. You just need to install it - opkg install nano
Interesting thanks. I've made a note of that. Nano is a 'last resort' for me but has got me there a few times in the past. Must admit I do find it 'orrible but useful. Now I have smb access to most places I can edit files using my favourite editor, StrongED.

Thanks.
Bob.

You could have edited smb.conf (and any other text file) in the browser simply using WebIF >> Diagnostics >> File Editor, no need for Telnet or FTP. Install webshell (and reboot) and you have command line access via WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Command Line.

Back