Upscaled HD

MikeSh

We recorded Midwinter of the Spirit (ep1) from ITV HD on the Freesat box and watched it tonight. Before starting I read the Info and my wife noticed that in the brackets at the end it said "Upscaled HD" rather than just the usual "HD".
Never noticed that on the Freeview boxes and I'm puzzled that a big-ticket new programme like this wouldn't be made in HD from the outset as this label would imply something older that has been 'improved' from it's native SD.

Is this a satellite thing?

I've often wondered why ITV go to the effort of telling you whether something is upscaled or not, yet no other channels do.

Never quite saw the point of upscaling before transmission, given the waste of bandwidth, since your receiver (or telly) will upscale it for you anyway.

I suppose the idea is that the upscaler that the content provider is using are considerably "better" than the one in the telly, or receiver?

Science suggests (or did until recently) that the universe was created from nothing - so there is a good precedent :)

Just checked the reservation for the next episode of MotS and it just says HD, so maybe Ezra is right.

I was referring to this on their website :-

HD.jpg

BTW
I thought that the latest theory on the 'Big Bang' was the collision of two membranes (i.e. parallel dimensions), it makes more sense than coming from nothing to me

I was referring to the bit in [ ] in the info panel (Synopsis) which appears thus:
EPGsample.gif

in the WebIf, and (I guess) is the same in the pop-up "i" display on the box/TV.
Here it is saying [AD,HD,S] but last week said [AD,Upscaled HD,S] ... I think.

Yes, the SD-HD upscalers due shortly will fetch the missing pixels from an adjacent dimension. 4K will be achieved by grabbing pixels from several extra dimensions. :cool:

Getting data from adjacent dimensions will initially only be available on subscription channels, it may come to Freeview eventually though :)

Back