USB dongles

It worked when I initially set it up, found network and needed password etc. I think I might have even got onto Iplayer.

Next morning it didn't work so I unplugged the dongle and switched it from the back to the front (something that has worked with the PC in the past) and it connected briefly. However, since then it has been Settings>system>internet settings "network disconnected" and when I go into configure wifi and [apply] i get "connection failed. Check your settings and try again"

Now there is one weird thing I'm seeing. My network password is 10 characters long but the astrix/stared out password on the configure password screen is only 8 characters long. I have put my password in a few times and it was accepted the first time so I don't know whether this is relevant.

So Ive just tried turning it off at the mains, and after turning it back on there is no change to the settings.

I'm not sure about the Humax Wi-Fi password (I don't connect with Wi-Fi), but quite often the asterisks don't reflect the password length because that is a clue to hackers

The 54 and 41 you are referring to are the connection speeds

Don't think that is correct. Not for link score in inssider. It's a score out of 100.

I have a Humax dongle that works perfectly on my laptop but refuses even to accept the passphrase on my T2. It gives the error message before I have even finished keying in the passphrase. Weird!

I must have an old version of Inssider, as I don't get a 'Link Score' but the Definition of it is as follows:-

One of the main features of inSSIDer for Home is the Link Score. This score is determined by looking at your signal strength, overlapping networks, and the number of SSIDs that share your channel. The higher your Link Score, the better your performance will be. You may have a totally different Link Score from one end of the house to the other, so make sure you walk around all of the areas you expect there to be Wi-Fi coverage.
So as you say it isn't an indication of bit-rate (although the bit rate may also fallback with a low 'Link score'), It is more an overall performance rating

Back