USB error message on HDR-FOX T2 Freeview Recorder

RPM

I have had an HDR-FOX T2 since 2011, with no modifications except OTA updates. Several months ago, the TV screen started displaying the following error message i.e. 'USB device
has encountered an error. Remove the USB to prevent system failure'. This happens despite no device connected to the USB sockets.

Putting the HDR into standby or switching off, for several minutes, usually clears the message. Unfortunately, the message often returns; sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after a few hours.
I went to the Hidden Settings Menu, and selected USB Eject, although no USB device was plugged in, and it initially appeared to clear the fault, even after several hours. but the message did later return.

This error message was flagged up by member BMAX on Dec 26 2012, and Black Hole replied it was something to tackle Humax about.

Does anybody else suffer this problem or know the solution?

Does anybody else suffer this problem or know the solution?
I've seen it on one of my boxes (probably one of the iffy ones). A reboot was the only way to get rid of it at the time.
I suspect a hardware failure of some sort somewhere. I'm afraid that finding it is going to be very very challenging, and fixing it (if it's even possible) somewhat harder.
I went to the Hidden Settings Menu, and selected USB Eject
I never thought to try that.

This error message was flagged up by member BMAX on Dec 26 2012, and Black Hole replied it was something to tackle Humax about.
Since 2012, we now have a comprehensive Custom Firmware which might possibly be used to provide more clues.

What happens if you put an actual USB device into one of the sockets?
Attempting to read and write a file might pin down which of the sockets it thinks is dodgy and there is chance that the act of inserting / removing a USB device might clear any crap out of the socket that is causing it to think there is problem

Inserting/removing a USB device did not fix the problem. I contacted Humax and they replaced the unit which was only a week old. I closed the thread on the other forum, but obviously forgot to close here.

I had this message when i accidentally shorted the 5v supply that goes to to the usb socket. It was when i swapped the front panel to that from a dtr-t1010
& didn't notice the socket on the main board had been rotated by 180. After sorting that out it was good again. So if you see it & are able i would suggest investigating the +5v supply rail to the socket.

Last edited:
I had this message when i accidentally shorted the 5v supply that goes to to the usb socket. It was when i swapped the front panel to that from a dtr-t1010
& didn't notice the socket on the main board had been rotated by 180. After sorting that out it was good again. So if you see it & are able i would suggest investigating the +5v supply rail to the socket.
Perhaps there's contamination or a foreign body in the OP's socket then.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post regarding the USB error message.
I took the cover off the HDR, and gave everything a good vacuum clean, particularly the USB sockets, and I haven't seen the message for a couple of days. The fault may have been due to something like swarf, and so fingers crossed, it may have been cleared.
In any event, the error message never appeared on any recordings, even though it may have been present on the TV screen during a recording.

Back