Using Firestick abroad

RobH1

I'm currently abroad and our rented property's TV only has local channels and access to BBC world and News.

For those who may be interested, downloading Express VPN (accessible via the stick's app store) gives access to all* live and catch ups as if you are in the UK and works perfectly if the accommodation has decent wifi. Cost is reasonable at £11 for one month and deals are very good for longer periods.
I thought I'd give it a whirl and I am very impressed.

* Want to watch F1 catch up but Channel 4 won't come up.

Confirming that All4 is not available (at least here in Portugal). All other Firestick apps work.

Update:
Using the firestick now for 10 weeks or so, it has its ups and downs. Sometimes lots of buffering, sometimes none. Tends to misbehave more on live sport e.g. Six nations, presumably due to the amount of internet traffic. We do have a stable connection with download speed fairly constant at 60Mbps.
Conclusion: I think it is worth the investment particularly in our case as we prefer music rather than dross in the evenings, but be prepared for buffer frustration on ItvX.

Sometimes lots of buffering, sometimes none. Tends to misbehave more on live sport e.g. Six nations, presumably due to the amount of internet traffic.
Frequent changes of camera angle result in less compressible video data, and therefore a higher sustained end-to-end bandwidth requirement.

Even with Itv's Vera? (Headquarter's must watch!).
When the buffering stops, you've missed some of the plot, such as it is. 🤪

Back