Using fixdisk over wifi

PerranOak

I have the custom firmware and put the T2 in maintenance mode over wifi but only saw telnet there as an option.

Previously, I got fixdisk on the webpage installer but couldn't see where the link was to run it hence using telnet.

Where would this show up or is it a background thing?

Sorry, I was a bit hasty. wireless-helper is supposed to bring up the WiFi when the standard firmware would normally not (ie half-awake for recording in standby), clearly you already had a WiFi link to get access to Telnet. I think (but I'm not certain) maintenance mode access does not require webshell (somebody confirm?).

This is what you should see by accessing the normal WebIF URL while the system is in Maintenance Mode:

1676390035842.png

Clicking "Access Telnet Menu" gets you this:

1676390106249.png
What you have is a terminal session operating via HTTP in a web browser... ie not literally Telnet, but does the same job. Enter your PIN ("0000" is the default) and then you get the Maintenance Mode Telnet Menu (see spoiler), which includes the "cli" option to get to the raw command line:

1676391737445.png
("HDRFOX1#" is the command prompt for my system)

If that's what you are seeing, everything is normal. If that's not what you're seeing, check you have the current CF.

Maybe the use of the word "Telnet" in "Telnet Menu" is a little misleading, but it is historical.

What we would strictly describe as using Telnet is to use a terminal program such as PuTTY, and port 21 at the unit's IP address on your local network.

Originally, the only access we had to the Linux command prompt (once that had been enabled at all, of course), was by Telnet. That's a very simple communications protocol through the network interface intended for ASCII console commands and responses. The menu system which got set up to be accessed via Telnet got called the Telnet Menu, and that remains even though we can now access it using HTTP instead of Telnet. The benefit of that is only techies have something like PuTTY to hand, whereas everyone has a web browser.

Last edited:
Previously, I got fixdisk on the webpage installer but couldn't see where the link was to run it hence using telnet.
Oh, I see what this means now. :oops:

If you have already started off a fixdisk session, then the "System is in Maintenance Mode" page offers you the option to rejoin that session... but only if there is already a session running.

Back