Using RS/RTS for linked programs - still needs a restart ?

I think the easiest way to mimic this is to presume your are not at home and therefore have no access to the box...
I did exactly the same as you described in post #9. By 2) what I did was the same as your 2) in post #9.

I'd since cancelled the successful recording of the second part of the 13:25 film and retried using the 15:40 film with some variations:
  • The first variation was that instead of doing what you described in your 2) of post #9 I instead had a 'reminder' set. :)
  • The second variation was that unlike earlier when I used padding I used AR instead. Do you use padding or AR?
  • The third variation was accidental. Turns out the 'reminder' was not a reminder but a recording. I'd set the timer incorrectly. As it was an AR recording of 6 minutes this meant that the HDR-FOX T2 was in active stand-by for 18 minutes before the start of the scheduled recording.
The HDR-FOX T2 again recorded both parts fine, despite my error setting the 'reminder' as a recording. Or perhaps because of my error, as it had the extra 18 minutes to do its thing.

I am currently retesting using a proper reminder of 6 minutes and the same other conditions on a different film from the Sony Media Ch (the 21:00 film), and will check the result in the morning.

I only use padding...
I let my tests using AR complete after I saw your post.
Both the HDR-FOX T2s recorded both parts with just a 6 minute reminder. Although one of the T2s would have got the extra 18 minutes pre AR active stand-by to sort itself out I don't think that was needed as the other T2 I'd booked using the second part and not the first part. If that AR extra time was needed then that one would have failed but it didn't fail and it still recorded both parts.

I'll switch to padding for this morning's SMC 9:00. That is plenty of time to set it up so that the reminder occurs with a reasonable gap between the end of the reminder and 9:00 (i.e. a minimum of 19 minutes just in case the T2s decide to go into active standby for a padded channel!).

With only a 6 minute reminder I'm not expecting to definitely see both parts in the RS as mine (all T2s?) only update when given the opportunity every 10 minutes. The reminder would need to be at least 11 or 12 minutes to have a good chance of the second half appearing in the RS before the recording started to kick in.

The reminder would need to be at least 11 or 12 minutes to have a good chance
Although the reminder is set for 10 minutes, the box turns on a minute or two before this. Also I don't think padding is involved in reminders.

I successfully recorded a split programme overnight by doing the following:
Set a reminder for 1 hour (23:30 to 00:30) then turn the box off
Using RS scheduled I am Wrath (1st - 01:40 to 02:35) (2nd - 02:40 to 03:35) on Sony Movie Channel

It recorded both parts successfully. I too wonder if RS and the box need to see each other at least twice to set the 2nd part correctly.
I will test again using a 15 minute reminder and, if unsuccessful, a 20 minute reminder.
If 15 minutes is successful then it is an easy fix.

I have tried the following which was successful:
Set a reminder from 10:20 to 10:35 (250 Red Button) then turn box off
Using RS, scheduled something on Sony Movie Channel
Checking on RS, box last seen at 10:20 and first part scheduled
Checking on RS, box last seen at 10:31 and both parts scheduled

So it would appear that RS/RTS and the box have to 'see' each other twice to correctly set the split recordings.
I think, as a belts and braces approach, I will set my reminder for 20 minutes.

Thanks Luke for all your valuable help. I would still be interested to hear if you can recreate the problem I was having with the 10 minute reminder.

I don't think that is likely (although I might be proven wrong). Once the RS has sent the schedule entry to the 'Fox, the rest should not require any further interaction.

Although the reminder is set for 10 minutes, the box turns on a minute or two before this.
If I recall correctly that means you are using version 1.03.xx. For 1.03.xx it goes into active standby 3 minutes before the reminder. For 1.02.xx it goes in to active standby 1 minute before the reminder.
I've been testing with HDR-FOX T2s, one on 1.03.12 and the other .102.20. On the 1,03.12 I'm plying nice and booking through the first part and on the 1.02.20 which doesn't have the extra 2 minutes before the recording I've been booking through the second part.

Checking on RS, box last seen at 10:20 and first part scheduled
Checking on RS, box last seen at 10:31 and both parts scheduled

So it would appear that RS/RTS and the box have to 'see' each other twice to correctly set the split recordings.
No. That logic is flawed. For all you know the box could have created the entry for the other part at 10:21. It is just the informing of the RS that did not happen until 10:31.
What is is sounding like is that you are expecting the RS to be spot on up to date with what has happened on the box or that. It isn't.
I too wonder if RS and the box need to see each other at least twice to set the 2nd part correctly.
No.
That is not what I was saying.
That is definitely not the situation for two reasons.
One reason being is that on all of my tests the box and RS have only communicated once before the other part was in the T2's schedule.
The other reason is that just because the RS does not know something has happened does not mean it hasn't happened. It does not matter whether or not the RS knows about the other part having been set on the T2. The second communication only serves to update the RS about what has already happened.

If someone sends you a letter instead of a text informing you that they have achieved something it doesn't mean that they haven't achieved it while it the letter is in the postbox waiting for the postman to pick it up and deliver it!

I'll switch to padding for this morning's SMC 9:00.
With only a 6 minute reminder I'm not expecting to definitely see both parts in the RS as mine (all T2s?) only update when given the opportunity every 10 minutes. The reminder would need to be at least 11 or 12 minutes to have a good chance of the second half appearing in the RS before the recording started to kick in.
Looking via the webif both HDR-FOX T2s are now recording. The webif also shows both T2s having both parts of the film in the schedule.

On the RS it only showed the one part after the reminders had completed. (The reminder was for 6 minutes again.)
For the HDR-FOX T2 using 1.03.12 (where I'd set the booking via the first part of the film) it switched itself from full stand-by to active standby 2 minutes before the start of the recording. The RS got updated promptly to reflect both parts.
For the HDR-FOX T2 using 1.02.xx (where I'd set the booking via the second part of the film) it didn't appear to switch itself from full stand-by to active standby until the start of the recording. The RS got updated promptly to reflect both parts. The box must have scheduled the other part during the reminder time - it is just that it didn't get the opportunity to tell RS.

Last edited:
In that case I am totally flumoxed as to why I have been having this problem with a 10 minute reminder but all okay with a 20 minute reminder.
Having said that it is now working okay so, as my understanding is misguided, I will put it down to 'just one of those things'

As an aside:
and fixed in webif 1.4.2-14
When setting the program the link icon does not appear next to the channel and genre icons as per attached.
Capture11-03-2018-11.15.37.jpg

In that case I am totally flumoxed as to why I have been having this problem with a 10 minute reminder but all okay with a 20 minute reminder.
Having said that it is now working okay so, as my understanding is misguided, I will put it down to 'just one of those things'
One possibility was that 1.4.2-14 did fix it for you, but because you were expecting the RS itself to be as up to date as the HDR-FOX T2 you thought it had not been totally fixed.

I can think of another possibility but if it did happen it would be rare and only if the second part was used to schedule the programme.

Luke can I pass this theory pass you please ?

My reminder was set for 12:25 with a duration of 10 minutes
Looking in cron/crontabs/root it shows
*/10 * * * * /mod/sbin/rs_process >> /mod/tmp/rs.log 2>&1
which I now have found out means run every tenth minute (rather than the every 10 minutes I had presumed)
I previously noticed that, although the box went into standby at 12:23 and came on at 12:25, RS showed last seen as 12:31. This then would give the box only 3 minutes or so to sort out the linked program.
As I have now set the reminder for 12:20 then the rs_process will run at 12:20 which now, possibly, gives the box more time to sort out the linked program.
As to why the box didn't schedule the second part when it started recording the first part remains a mystery.

Luke can I pass this theory pass you please ?
You're asking the wrong person.
My ippression was that if the T2 has not been active very recently (either active on or active standby) then it wil start RS fairly quickly when it is made active on or active standby.

As to why the box didn't schedule the second part when it started recording the first part remains a mystery.
Is that example before or after upgrading to 1.4.2-14?
If its after then I have no ideas.

Back