VCDImageExtract

sceedy

More people have know what betamax is than vcd. If you don’t know what vcd is then there is no point in you reading any further.

If you do know what a vcd is then your first thought will be “but there is … freeware tool that already does this”. I have tried several and if your CD does not conform to the authour’s chosen standard they complain bitterly. After I tried every one I could find I was left with a stack of CDs that would only play in a standard DVD player (all the ones with hdmi outputs I have found are upscaling DVD players that have the same “hissy fit” as blu-ray players if you try to play those CDs).

This is a forum where I would expect to see “early adopters” so somebody else may find this useful. It has been tested by the users i.e. it has successfully processed all the out of spec CDs within my family, when used by people who are probably best described as the opposite of tech savvy.

This program does not read CDs. It processes sets of one or more CD images to extract the vcd/svcd/xvcd ... set’s mpeg file, and, only works properly if the CD image is a perfect representation of the disk. See the manual for further details.

All the variations on the vcd standard use the physical position on the disk to synchronise video and audio so the extracted file is “broken” for normal use. However the idea is to play it on the HDR-Fox T2 so using ffmpeg to re-multiplex the file to a transport stream “fixes” the problem. If you want to edit it on a video editor that can not deal with transport streams use ffmpeg to re-multiplex it back. Note that when ffmpeg re-multiplexes it does change the elementary streams but only the audio/video stream headers and non-playable information (thus the “fix”).

I am impressed by the HDR-Fox T2 playback of MPEG1 video. Allowing it to fill the screen gives much better quality than software upscaling to one of the broadcast frame sizes and playing the upscaled video.

The health warning for MPEG1 video playback on the HDR-Fox T2 will probably affect less than 1% of the people that will find this program useful. Most MPEG1 encoders don’t produce D frames anyway, so aborting playback if you start on a D frame is not a problem in most cases. This can occur if you are unlucky resuming playback, fast forwarding or skipping. If you just play from start to end there is no problem. I have tried not indexing the D frames (i.e. preventing start of playback on a D frame because it does not exist as an index entry) but you then get pixilation when the D frame is encountered during normal playback.

The attachment VCDImageExtractSizes.txt gives links to my OneDrive for the executables under the size shown in the extract from a directory listing.

Attachments

• VCDImageExtractSources.zip
    77.1 KB · Views: 5
  • VCDImageExtractSizes.txt
    299 bytes · Views: 4
More people have know what betamax is than vcd.
What?

OK, so I know what Betamax is and what a VCD is... but capitalisation and grammar are important to comprehension.

executables
What is the target system? If not the HDR-FOX, this thread is appropriate to the Video Manipulation section of the forum, not here (the custom firmware section).

Last edited:
Now that someone has flagged it up, no doubt a mod/admin will be along in a bit and move it.;)

Back