• The forum software that supports hummy.tv has been upgraded to XenForo 2.1!

This upgrade brings a number of improvements including the ability to bookmark posts to come back to later. Please bear with us as we continue to tweak things and open a new thread for any questions, issues or suggestions in Site/Forum Issues.

VLC able to decrypt HD files

kjhskj75

VLC on an Amazon Fire Stick seems to be able to play (via DLNA)
encrypted HD files from a FOX-T2.

I thought only another FOX-T2 was able to do this.

Is this behaviour known ?

I think VLC on Android may be able to do this as well, it's just
my phone isn't powerful enough.

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
It is not the case that only an HD-FOX will ever be able to do this, just that we have not (so far) been aware of anything else that can.

There are a couple of possibilities:

1. You have used custom firmware (or other means) to "unprotect" the HiDef recordings. See Things Every... (click) section 5, and follow the links.

2. The Amazon Fire Stick is able to negotiate protected delivery - see Glossary (click), entry DTCP.

If the latter, then your Android VLC will not be able to stream HiDef recordings, because it cannot verify there is no means to capture the stream.

MartinLiddle

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't recollect it being reported previously. The issue with playing isn't encryption so much as support for DTCP-IP (Digital Transmission Content Protocol) that is required. A quick google suggests the Amazon Fire Stick may support DTCP; if that is the case then it it is the Fire Stick doing the magic not VLC. Can anyone else replicate this?

Black Hole

Presumably it only negotiates DTCP once it has established HDCP across the HDMI to the TV.

OP
K

kjhskj75

1. You have used custom firmware (or other means) to "unprotect" the HiDef recordings. See Things Every... (click) section 5, and follow the links.
No, I was careful to check that.

I think it may be the FireStick itself rather than VLC, since a different DLNA player on it also worked.

(this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/龙方儿-AirReceiver/dp/B00L5HQRGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517941792&sr=8-1&keywords=airplay&dpID=41hC6epDMoL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch)

jonathanp

Is the Fire Stick still working for you? Bit annoyed the FVP-5000T doesn't advertise that only SD content is streamable via DLNA, slightly misleading I think. Hoping the Fire Stick may work though...

jonathanp

It is not the case that only an HD-FOX will ever be able to do this, just that we have not (so far) been aware of anything else that can.

2. The Amazon Fire Stick is able to negotiate protected delivery - see Glossary (click), entry DTCP.

If the latter, then your Android VLC will not be able to stream HiDef recordings, because it cannot verify there is no means to capture the stream.
Searched and searched... Any news on any other DTCP clients that work? Bit annoyed the FVP-5000T doesn't advertise that only SD content is streamable via DLNA, slightly misleading I think.

Black Hole

only SD content is streamable via DLNA
Not necessarily true, you just have to provide the right circumstances. Any device able to display content streamed by DLNA and verifiably unable to store the stream ought to be able to negotiate protected delivery (eg a "smart" TV). If a manufacturer has provided DLNA client capability without protected delivery, they've not lived up to the DLNA badging.

I'm pretty confident you would be able to stream HiDef to another Humax device.

jonathanp

Not necessarily true, you just have to provide the right circumstances. Any device able to display content streamed by DLNA and verifiably unable to store the stream ought to be able to negotiate protected delivery (eg a "smart" TV). If a manufacturer has provided DLNA client capability without protected delivery, they've not lived up to the DLNA badging.

I'm pretty confident you would be able to stream HiDef to another Humax device.
Thanks for the quick response... I get you, my 2018 LG and Roku stick 4K streams HD content recorded by a HD HomeRun (network Freeview tuner, without any transcoding), but neither will stream from the FVP-5000T so guess the DTCP-IP is stopping it...

jonathanp

Hi, just tried a new Fire stick and no luck... Does it still work for you and what Fire Stick do you have? thanks!