Volume control not working from Humax remote

paddyrm

Not a huge problem, but does anyone have any idea why the volume control does not control the volume when using the Humax remotef for my PVR-9300? The bar appears on screen but does not alter volume. Mute works. HDMI connection. Remote is RT-531B
Can control via TV remote, just the inconvenience of reaching for another remote!
Cheers
Paddy

On the PVR-9300T the volume controls on the remote only work for the TV SCART and RCA audio connections.

On the PVR-9300T the volume controls on the remote only work for the TV SCART and RCA audio connections.
Coo, that was quick Luke! Thanks.

Is there a workaround, eg use RCA cable(s) alongside the HDMI cable?

As it's not an HD box, use a SCART, or hasn't your TV got one? But don't use the Red/White/Yellow leads, that's composite video and gives a comparatively crap picture.

PS. We are pretty sharp around here.;)

Is there a workaround, eg use RCA cable(s) alongside the HDMI cable?
Not usually if you want to connect the RCAleads to a TV and not an amp. I know someone who has one of the first 720 HD Sony LCD TVs and it looked as though it may be possibly on hers, but on my Sony 2014 model it's not possible although it has RCA connectors.

Have you tried Trev's suggestion?
If connection through a good quality SCART lead via the PVR-9300T's TV SCART (the top one) and with the PVR-9300T's TV SCART output to RGB you may not notice the difference.
When I use to use SCART I was quite lucky in coming across an inexpensive lead where the picture was easily noticeably better than with the 'included' SCART leads.

Not usually if you want to connect the RCAleads to a TV and not an amp. I know someone who has one of the first 720 HD Sony LCD TVs and it looked as though it may be possibly on hers, but on my Sony 2014 model it's not possible although it has RCA connectors.

Have you tried Trev's suggestion?
If connection through a good quality SCART lead via the PVR-9300T's TV SCART (the top one) and with the PVR-9300T's TV SCART output to RGB you may not notice the difference.
When I use to use SCART I was quite lucky in coming across an inexpensive lead where the picture was easily noticeably better than with the 'included' SCART leads.
Thanks: I have a fat SCART cable with gold contacts, will try that tomorrow and let you know. -- Lazy Paddy

It has a "component connection" which it illustrates with five RCA cables, two audio and three video. Up to me to provide the SCART adaptor from the Humax I guess - does this sound right? If so will look around for some gold RCA plugs :)

Yes. You need something like THIS but NOT like THIS. The former will give you RGB video and LR audio which will give much better picture than the composite video from the latter. You will probably also need RGB and LR cables to extend to your TV input.
And don't get too excited about gold plated cables.:roflmao:

Nothing wrong with gold plating in the area of a metal-to-metal contact. Much more reliable than non-plated (but best if both sides are plated).

Quite. Anything able to conduct enough that the other end can tell the difference between a '0' and a '1' should do, with the rider that HDMI at max resolution is damned high frequency, so "just" a piece of string won't cut it, and the longer the cable (10m+) the better it needs to be. Nonetheless, I run a projector at 1080p with a 10m cable that cost me a whole £9 including delivery (some years ago).

Gold doesn't oxidise, so an incredibly thin layer of it is used to provide a clean contact that never loses its conductivity and is the best thing for connectors and switch contacts in high-reliability applications. Domestically, non-plated contacts are more the norm (cheaper to make) and just means the user has to be aware that if something goes wrong you might only need to reseat the connectors.

It's the extreme audiophiles that go mad about cables, particularly the connection to the loud speakers. Granted the signal is analogue so the slightest disturbance to the linearity of the cable will convert to distortion in the sound, and the speaker cables may have to carry a high current, but $7000 per metre???

But you do have to remember that HDMI is digital (so if the system works, it works) whereas SCART is analogue (so it will work at varying degrees of quality), so a really cheap SCART cable could leave you with an unsatisfactory picture.

I have found that the problem with really cheap SCART cables is cross-talk. Mainly between input and output on fully wired cables, probably caused by poor/non existent screening.

Recent Samsung TVs have a 3 ring + tip 3.5mm plug terminated in RGB RCA sockets for component video and a separate 3 ring + tip 3.5mm plug terminated in Red, White and Yellow sockets for stereo audio and composite video. To use component video, you use the RGB cables and just the Red and White audio sockets of the composite cable set.

Recent Samsung TVs have a 3 ring + tip 3.5mm plug terminated in RGB RCA sockets for component video and a separate 3 ring + tip 3.5mm plug terminated in Red, White and Yellow sockets for stereo audio and composite video.
Yuk! I wonder how much attention has been paid to impedance matching.

Recent Samsung TVs have a 3 ring + tip 3.5mm plug terminated in RGB RCA sockets for component video and a separate 3 ring + tip 3.5mm plug terminated in Red, White and Yellow sockets for stereo audio and composite video. To use component video, you use the RGB cables and just the Red and White audio sockets of the composite cable set.
That's true for my TV version, thanks Trev. Have had a good inspection of available apertures and that would appear to be my only option! -- Paddy

Back