watching recordings on a 2nd tv

graham palmer

I want to watch recordings on a 2nd tv in another room that is attached via the ariel out connection. I used to be able to do this with my PVR 2100T, is it possible with the HDR - FOX T2?

By "PVR 2100T " are you referring to the youview 'DTR-T2100'?
Similarly to the DTR-T2100, on the HDR-FOX T2 just switch off the power saving in standby option.

Last edited:
My mistake PVR 9200T. I want to be able to watch recordings on the HDR-FOX T2 on a tv in another room that is connected via the ariel out socket

Using my old PVR 9200T box I just had to connect the 2nd TV to the ariel out to watch recordings, why do I need a TV modulator to do the same with the HDR-FOX T2?

Using my old PVR 9200T box I just had to connect the 2nd TV to the ariel out to watch recordings, why do I need a TV modulator to do the same with the HDR-FOX T2?
Unlike the '9200 the HDR hasn't got its own modulator I'm afraid.

A far better alternative to an external modulator would be to connect something to the second TV that can talk to the media server in the HDR over ethernet*. I gather HD-Fox T2 will do this but for anything else you'll have to wait for suggestions from others.

* [Edit] Or WiFi.

Unlike the '9200 the HDR hasn't got its own modulator I'm afraid.

A far better alternative to an external modulator would be to connect something to the second TV that can talk to the media server in the HDR over ethernet*. I gather HD-Fox T2 will do this but for anything else you'll have to wait for suggestions from others.

* [Edit] Or WiFi.
that is a shame, I don't think my HDR Fox T2 has got wifi capability so I would need to have a lan cable between the router and tv as well as between router and humax box, was hoping to use the ariel cable that is already in place,

As far as I am aware, no "video recorder" has ever provided a modulated output for connection to a TV since broadcast telly went digital.

Once upon a time TVs only had an aerial socket as a means of input, and when VCRs came along their only means of replaying to the TV was by setting up their own TV channel added to the existing set that the TV could tune to. It was by necessity. Once TVs commonly provided a SCART input, that was a higher quality way of getting the picture out of the VCR. Now everything is digital and TVs have HDMI inputs. A modern digital TV recording, even StDef, will look pretty horrible fed through an analogue TV UHF modulator, and the TV would have to be switched to analogue reception. Creating a DVB digital modulated UHF signal to feed a TVs digital tuner is difficult and the cheapest modulator I can currently find on the market is about £200. Nobody will build one of those in when they can just use HDMI.

I don't think my HDR Fox T2 has got wifi capability
It does, if you fit a suitable WiFi USB dongle. There is plenty of information already on the forum about this and other methods of networking without using Ethernet.

However, even a decent quality 10m phono cable will be better quality than using an analogue modulator.

For information, every TV in my house has either a HDR-FOX or a HD-FOX behind it, which do all the receiving and recording and are networked to make all recordings anywhere accessible everywhere.

As far as I am aware, no "video recorder" has ever provided a modulated output for connection to a TV since broadcast telly went digital.
The 9200T did have a built in modulator; page 54 of the user manual describes how to select the channel to be used. I think the older Sky boxes also had a built in modulator but I am not aware of any current boxes that have a built in modulator.

Fair enough, but it could only have been the early batch intended to provide set-top box capability (DVB adapter for analogue-only TVs). I made the false assumption that the 9200 might have been an analogue PVR - I had a couple of Liteon/Yamaha HDD/DVD-R PVRs with analogue tuner and modulator but using A-to-D and D-to-A conversion to get the video on and off the disks (effectively a VCR without the video cassette).

I think (I'm 90% sure) the 9200 appeared while analogue was still extant and many (most?) TVs were still analogue. Most people got digital via a set-top box if not a PVR.
Things change :dunno:

Regardless of the academic and pointless question of whether the 9200 had a modulator or not, the T2 hasn't got one. To do what you want to do via the coax feeder, you are left with an external modulator as about the only choice.
As posted above though, there are better ways.

I made the false assumption that the 9200 might have been an analogue PVR
Tie a knot in your handkerchief for the next time the PVR-9200T comes up! There has already been a thread on this forum where you stated that you had not seen the Humax's previous digital PVR to the HDR-FOX T2 (the 9200T).

I can't recall that its been mentioned in a thread that you have participated in but the PVR-9200T wasn't even the first Humax's first generation UK digital recorder. The first generation Humax UK digital PVR also had RF modulation.

I think (I'm 90% sure) the 9200 appeared while analogue was still extant and many (most?) TVs were still analogue. Most people got digital via a set-top box if not a PVR.

Things change :dunno:

A mate of mine described at his work place my 1st generation Humax UK digital recorder. They thought he was making it up as to them it sounded like science fiction. Obviously that was over 12 years ago. And then the 9200T came along which had significant functional improvements.

Last edited:
Regardless of the academic and pointless question of whether the 9200 had a modulator or not, the T2 hasn't got one. To do what you want to do via the coax feeder, you are left with an external modulator as about the only choice.
As posted above though, there are better ways.
Could I use an hdmi 1 to 2 splitter and a long hdmi cable to the 2nd tv? for now I have still got my pvr 9200t connected to my 2nd tv and via scart to my main tv and the HDR T2 connected to the main tv via hdmi.

the 2nd tv is in the kitchen which is next to the room to where the box is, I have no need to control the box from there so that will do the job for me, thanks for your help!:)

I have just realised that my solution of using an hdmi splitter and long cable is not going to be suitable for my needs as the splitters only seem to be able to let you have one tv operating at a time, is there a way to split the hdmi output to allow both TVs to be used at the same time? If I was to use a rf modulator connected to the scart instead would this allow both TVs to be viewed at the same time? If I was to network the HDR Fox T2 box using a wifi dongle what would I need at the 2nd TV to receive the signal? I don't want to buy a 2nd HDR Fox T2, Its not a smart tv, it has a usb slot but I am pretty sure it is only there to facilitate the viewing of pictures! This is proving to be much more complicated than using my PVR 9200T !

I think (I'm 90% sure) the 9200 appeared while analogue was still extant...
Digital switchover started in October 2007 in and completed in April 2012, the '9200 seems to have appeared in the UK in 2005 - I bought my original '9200 as a Humax Direct manager's special in December 2007.

Back