Watching recordings on PC via Samba connected Humax

MymsMan

Ad detector
I have my Humax disk mounted on my Win10 laptop using Samba.

This works perfectly for editing Humax files on the PC and for copying files in both directions.
Speed is reasonable I can copy a 46 minute, 760MB, recording from the Humax to PC in under 4 minutes.

But if I try to play the recording from the shared disk with VLC it pauses for a couple of seconds every few seconds which of course is very annoying, the number of pauses seems to reduce further into the recording.
If I play the recording more than once the pauses occur at the same spots each time and are not affected by any other activity on the Humax. There are no pauses if the recording is copied to the PC or viewing via webif.
The network speed is more than adequate to keep up with live playback and I would have expected any network delay to be more random in where it caused pauses.
Different recordings have different pause patterns - some are virtually problem free whilst others are unwatchable.

Are there any settings on the Humax, Router, or PC that might be tweaked to improve the viewing experience?
Humax is cable connected to router, PC is wireless connected.

Last edited:
Splash does do a better job on completed recording but it doesn't work properly when watching streaming video whilst it is being recorded.
It is very slow to start up and only allows you to view the portion of the recording that exists at that time - it does not allow you to view until the end while VLC does

So I need to find another media player that can handle ts files andstreaming without stuttering - any other suggestions?

Guessing the issue is down to the HDR-FOX-T2 is unable to support Samba at the speed of the received data. The buffer simply runs out of data. No media player could possibly cope. It's processor interrupts will support the box primary functions.

Guessing the issue is down to the HDR-FOX-T2 is unable to support Samba at the speed of the received data. The buffer simply runs out of data. No media player could possibly cope. It's processor interrupts will support the box primary functions.
I am not sure that I follow,

I can copy a complete 46 minute in under 4 minutes, playing the recording via a media player should be demanding data at 1/10 of the possible data transfer rate

Back