Weather related

RobH1

BH mentioned it's dull around here at the mo, so it's just going to get duller!

A few weeks ago the stations on com7 disappeared (Caldbeck), but wasn't bothered with the loss apart from perhaps BBC newsHD. Last week though we lost all the Hi Def channels after they pixilated for a few days so we had to investigate.
Communal aerial (9 units) with a booster. Nothing was obvious so the professional came in and after faffing around for a while he unhooked the cable from the aerial at the block terminal and proceeded to empty a lot of water from it.
A temporary fix was made using a long loop of cable to contain any more water until he can scale the very complicated roof system of our Victorian building. Seems like the water build up was slowly reducing signal strength.
Thought I'd share this. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well-known problem when an aerial with an upward-facing terminal box doesn't have the lid secured properly, and it's also why you shouldn't use airspaced coax outside. Coax with foam insulation like PF200 doesn't have the same problem but water can still wick along the braid.

FWIW I've always given the inside of the terminal box a good slathering of Waxoyl - the original Finnegans stuff - along with all the aerial's screws and bolts.

Gosh, I used to have my cars waxoyled. I was lucky to find a traditional garage here in Cumbria who are still prepared to do it. Most garages don't know what you're talking about!

Gosh, I used to have my cars waxoyled...
Used it on my first car, a '66 Hillman Imp. Took weeks if not months for the smell to go and I've still got the injector syringe somewhere.

Structural rust in cars is a thing of the past. Last one I had any on was an AlfaSud I part exchanged in '87, just in time I thought but it was still taxed in '94.

I've still got my '75 Imp. Not been run for about 20 years, brakes don't work and a few rusty bits in critical places. Good news is, under the new rules, it doesn't need an MOT!

That sounds like one of last of the line with an L4 or later chassis number, meaning IIRC it has an alternator plus the Sport cam and double valve springs, although not the Sport valves

Yes, and the external oil drain from the head to the block.

I ran it until the late 80s with various tuned engines (big valves, R20 cam, etc), then used it in production car trials in the 90s - ideal for muddy hill climbing with all the weight over the back wheels.

There's not much original car left now. Roll cage, 915cc block, big valve head with Wills rings, Weber carb, Janspeed exhaust, Chesman mudplugger cam, highly modified suspension and over 100kg of lead cast into the rear crossmember. Works sump guard adds a bit more weight to the back as well - used to get a bit tail happy on roundabouts when I had it on the road!

After sliding backwards down some of the hills and into something solid, thus folding the expensive exhaust manifold beyond repair, I modified the tail pipe to slope upwards as it left the back of the car and welded some 'stops' on it to prevent too much movement when things got out of control. Only trouble was the car was parked outside most of the time so the exhaust would fill up with rainwater. I cured that by putting one of those plastic temporary fuel filler caps in it when not in use. Can't remember how many times I forgot to remove it before starting the engine - then walking 50 yards or so up the road to retrieve it!

I'm semi-retired now, hoping to get it roadworthy again one day...

I did wonder why you were keeping it.

Mine was a just a mildly modified and tweaked everyday roadgoing one. Fitted a few Chrysler Comps bits (lightened flywheel, oil pump etc.) when I rebuilt an engine for it but couldn't afford a 998 block back then. Lowered 1" on Monte Carlos with stiff bushes and decent tyres it went like a mini Porsche. Sold it to my BiL and it was last taxed in '82.

From the Express website:

“Where the thunderstorms do occur we can expect torrential rainfall, 2, 3 or perhaps more inches of rain in just a few hours and frequent lightning, as well as hale, could cause issues especially say as we go into the rush hour on Thursday around Bristol, the M4 and the M5.

Hale is around Manchester.

Back