Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
My workflow:
  1. Set bookmarks by SUI

2. Perform crop via WebIF

3. Review result; if no adjustment required goto step 7

4. Make (mental) note of crop point alterations

5. WebIF - return to media list and drill down to "original" folder

6. Open bookmark editor, adjust individual bookmarks as noted, save bookmarks, goto step 2

7. Edit filename and media list title as required

8. If necessary, move cropped recording to appropriate folder

9. Delete top-level "original" folder

Problems:
  • The crop operation fails if I take focus away from the browser (iOS/Safari) - the relevant web page has to remain active.

• The process of cropping, testing, adjusting bookmarks, re-cropping... could do with streamlining. It would be helpful to have crop and bookmark edit tools open in the same web page (or at least as a shortcut button, which would be easier to implement), complete with a button to restore the original (without having to leave the page), and perhaps even a shortcut to the rename tool.

So, in summary, I would like: the crop process made background; add a "revert" button to the crop dialogue; add "bookmarks" and "rename" shortcut buttons to the crop dialogue; add a "crop" shortcut button to the bookmarks editor dialogue.

Last edited:
in summary, I would like: the crop process made background; add a "revert" button to the crop dialogue; add "bookmarks" and "rename" shortcut buttons to the crop dialogue; add a "crop" shortcut button to the bookmarks editor dialogue.
So your post is a request for someone to add webif features for you

So your post is a request for someone to add webif features for you
If that's the uncharitable way you want to spin it, then yes. An alternative view is that the suggestions would benefit the community and I do not have that skill set, but contribute in other ways.

It just looked like you was giving the world another fantastic [ Square Bracket ] feature rather than asking for help

In addition I would like to see:
  • Thumbnail images of each BM point and half second intervals either side so that you are not working blind in the BM editor
  • Even better would be a slow motion video view so that you could visually see where the bookmarks are and adjust as needed.
  • Cropping in the background via Queue mechanism
  • Use of ffmpeg vs nicesplice for cleaner cropping.
I do not have that skill set,
Yet, you may be an old dog but don't underate your abilities to learn new tricks
It would be reasonable learner project.

Yet, you may be an old dog but don't underate your abilities to learn new tricks
It would be reasonable learner project.
It's a question of where time is spent most productively. Learn to make the necessary adjustments... make the adjustments... forget how to make adjustments (ad infinitum).

Thumbnail images of each BM point and half second intervals either side so that you are not working blind in the BM editor
You do realise bookmarks only have a 1s resolution, and the crop points have even less resolution? Nonetheless, nice idea but in my experience the thumbnails take too long to generate.

Even better would be a slow motion video view so that you could visually see where the bookmarks are and adjust as needed.
:eek: Yes, nice, but...

Cropping in the background via Queue mechanism
I thought that was already on my list.

You do realise bookmarks only have a 1s resolution, and the crop points have even less resolution? Nonetheless, nice idea but in my experience the thumbnails take too long to generate.
OK, one second intervals would be adequate, It onlys takes a few seconds per thumbnail and isn't impacted by where in the recording you generate (HD are a bit slower)

HD are a bit slower
Personally, if I'm going to this much trouble it would have to be a HiDef recording.

Another nice-to-have feature would be a preview of where the crop is actually going to happen (the nearest I frame outside the "keep" area).

yes, this a more polite way of saying "It isn't that difficult, give it a try", as we see from time to time in forum posts
Why not, when the subject has made no other contribution of substance and wants something for nothing! However, personally I would usually reserve such an indication for where the request is either difficult/impossible, or has a potential audience in the single digits (most likely: one).

Without changing any code, would it help to open the bookmark editor in a separate tab?

Apparently "Open in New Tab" applied to an item in the file list opens its parent folder, from which the item's menu can be accessed again.

• Thumbnail images of each BM point and half second intervals either side so that you are not working blind in the BM editor
Isn't something like that in the crop function already? No, in the Set Thumbnail function.

Last edited:
How about this update to the bookmark editor? It uses the API of the Set Thumbnail function.

When it opens, the "Current" bookmark is set to the last one and "Generate Thumbnails" (better name?) is enabled but the UI is otherwise as normal.

Press "Generate Thumbnails" to bring up thumbnails for the Current bookmark and 1s (0.5s ?) either side.

Click on a slider handle to make that the Current bookmark, clearing the thumbnail display and re-enabling "Generate Thumbnails".

Once the bookmarks are set with this, go to Crop (could be a shortcut button?) and execute.

Eg: https://git.hpkg.tv/df/webif/pulls/7

Attachments

• BookmarkViewer.png
    BookmarkViewer.png
    87 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back