Webif not loading

Ken Roshven

I've flashed the CF on my Foxsat HDR (three times),each time resetting to the stock firmware and flashing again. WEBIF claims to be loaded (I've had the' congrats' message). TV operation is fine.

I can telnet and I can see "webif" but only part of it - see thumbnail.

Any ideas as to where the GUI might be are very welcome ... please !

Image1.jpg

Huh? That is the GUI.
Have you tried scrolling the browser window up?
I have now, prpr - it only goes as far up as the top of the grey banner, it only goes down to a message about the rendering time. Basically, there seems to be no clickable graphics available to open packages.

A question - does an RMA operation delete recordings, because that's one thing I haven't tried?

Basically, there seems to be no clickable graphics available to open packages.
I take it you are new to all this?

The packages operate in the background to provide services - they are not like apps on a tablet or something. What you see is all I would expect you to see. A few packages might add a link to the home screen (eg mediatomb), but not many.

If you want to know more, try the "Documentation" icon!

A question - does an RMA operation delete recordings, because that's one thing I haven't tried?
And don't bother. It won't fix the add on Custom Firmware. And I'm not sure whether it is broken or not. I have a Foxsat, but it isn't in service so I can't compare the UI wit yours. But I do remember that there are not as many icons as the HDR T2

I can telnet and I can see "webif"
You didn't Telnet in to get that thumbnail - so I think you are lacking in knowledge what Telnet is. Telnet is a specific communications protocol used for accessing an operating system at the command line level. If you had used a Telnet client (rather than a web browser) and Telnetted in you would get some kind of text menu (or at least a command prompt) in a terminal window. For more info (as applies to HDR-FOX rather than FOXSAT-HDR) see https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet.

Further to my previous post:

To find out what packages are installed (and install others), see the "Package Management" icon. All the icons on the home screen open further web pages relevant to that function. If you were expecting the web page GUI to replicate the controls available using the on-screen menus and remote control... forget it! That's not what the CF does (or can do).

CF works alongside the Humax firmware, to provide facilities additional to Humax firmware. The only means to provide a control and status interface for the CF is through networking - there are no alternatives available. Therefore control of CF is through a web page GUI, and control of standard facilities is through the on-screen GUI. Facilities which seem to replicate standard functions (viewing the EPG, viewing/setting recording schedules) are implemented by displaying and manipulating data in files already in use by the standard firmware.

RMA = "strip out all the custom stuff for returning under warranty so nobody knows I've fiddled with it". No, it does not delete recordings. It is of no use to you unless you want to start again with CF from scratch (which can be useful if something has gone horribly wrong, but in your case there is no evidence of that - just naive expectation).

Last edited:
And don't bother. It won't fix the add on Custom Firmware. And I'm not sure whether it is broken or not. I have a Foxsat, but it isn't in service so I can't compare the UI wit yours. But I do remember that there are not as many icons as the HDR T2
Thanks, Trev ...

You didn't Telnet in to get that thumbnail - so I think you are lacking in knowledge what Telnet is. Telnet is a specific communications protocol used for accessing an operating system at the command line level. If you had used a Telnet client (rather than a web browser) and Telnetted in you would get some kind of text menu (or at least a command prompt) in a terminal window. For more info (as applies to HDR-FOX rather than FOXSAT-HDR) see

To find out what packages are installed (and install others), see the "Package Management" icon. All the icons on the home screen open further web pages relevant to that function. If you were expecting the web page GUI to replicate the controls available using the on-screen menus and remote control... forget it! That's not what the CF does (or can do).

CF works alongside the Humax firmware, to provide facilities additional to Humax firmware. The only means to provide a control and status interface for the CF is through networking - there are no alternatives available. Therefore control of CF is through a web page GUI, and control of standard facilities is through the on-screen GUI. Facilities which seem to replicate standard functions (viewing the EPG, viewing/setting recording schedules) are implemented by displaying and manipulating data in files already in use by the standard firmware.

RMA = "strip out all the custom stuff for returning under warranty so nobody knows I've fiddled with it". No, it does not delete recordings. It is of no use to you unless you want to start again with CF from scratch (which can be useful if something has gone horribly wrong, but in your case there is no evidence of that - just naive expectation).
You didn't Telnet in to get that thumbnail - so I think you are lacking in knowledge what Telnet is. Telnet is a specific communications protocol used for accessing an operating system at the command line level. If you had used a Telnet client (rather than a web browser) and Telnetted in you would get some kind of text menu (or at least a command prompt) in a terminal window. For more info (as applies to HDR-FOX rather than FOXSAT-HDR) see

No, BH, you're wide of the mark; "naive" is mildly offensive. I started in computing as an engineer on very large mainframes in 1973 and subsequently did an awful lot of Unix work, so I am perfectly aware as to what Telnet is, but there is no doubt it's a pain to use and I haven't touched it for 35 years or so. I'd prefer not to touch it again, but I'll dabble until my eyes glaze over and then I'll probably stop. But thank you for your helpful advice so far - I may be back.

I am offended by that. We have no idea what your background might be until you say, so there is need to go off on one (and you could equally well complain if it was pitched too high). I can see now that
I can telnet and I can see "webif"
...could mean separate operations, but I read it to mean the one was a consequence of the other.

The question then remains why you said this when the GUI is there to see in your thumbnail, complete with a great big icon labelled "documentation":
Any ideas as to where the GUI might be are very welcome ... please !
You've still not said what you expected to see different from your screen grab.

I am offended by that. We have no idea what your background might be until you say, so there is need to go off on one (and you could equally well complain if it was pitched too high). I can see now that

...could mean separate operations, but I read it to mean the one was a consequence of the other.

The question then remains why you said this when the GUI is there to see in your thumbnail, complete with a great big icon labelled "documentation":

You've still not said what you expected to see different from your screen grab.
You're quite combative, aren't you? You think it's OK to upset others without knowing anything about them and then you complain when they do tell you a little. I was taught not to assume but to check, and to ask if I didn't understand anything because there's no such thing as a silly question.

My reply was polite and tactful, because I have to admit that I was wary because of the veiled threat in your message sub-header. Many of your other posts are also quite acerbic, I see.

So in this matter I'll have to put the whole Humax CF project on my 'not a friendly forum' blacklist.

Best wishes ...

Bye then. No great loss. You don't seem to have a clue anyway, or want to provide answers when asked questions, or read the documentation.
And telnet is no more difficult or easy to use than ssh. You've just jumped on the command line bandwagon, presumably from a point of outdated ignorance. You can slag me off too, 'cos I don't give a ****.

You can go on our blacklist too.

So in this matter I'll have to put the whole Humax CF project on my 'not a friendly forum' blacklist.
I am sorry you feel like that; generally speaking this is a reasonably friendly forum. You have encountered a couple of the forum users who are very knowledgeable but do have a tendency to be rather intolerant as new users scrabble around; personally I regret this attitude. If you stay with this forum you may well find the people who have a more friendly attitude.

It would me interesting if you would consider explaining what you were expecting the GUI to provide?

Bye then. No great loss. You don't seem to have a clue anyway, or want to provide answers when asked questions, or read the documentation.
And telnet is no more difficult or easy to use than ssh. You've just jumped on the command line bandwagon, presumably from a point of outdated ignorance. You can slag me off too, 'cos I don't give a ****.
Was that really necessary?
You can go on our blacklist too.
I am not sure whose blacklist you are referring to but it certainly isn't the policy of this forum.

Jeez, it doesn't really pay to display any sort of snowflakery around here does it.
Perhaps a warning should be a sticky topic on every thread.

You're quite combative, aren't you?
Pot calling the kettle black, I would say. Perhaps somebody more objective would care to offer a judgement where exactly I have been in any way inaccurate, based purely on the evidence available? I do accurate information, I don't do kid gloves.

ML might be a "super moderator", but that simply means he has forum privileges above those of normal members. He might well weald the stick, but I don't see that endows any moral right to take sides.

Bear in mind this is not the home forum for the FOXSAT-HDR CF.

Last edited:
Back