Webif: Trying to "update the package list from Internet"

Ezra Pound

Well-Known Member
It would help to know if the error is repeatable, i.e. does it fail every time? If so check that the Humax can access something on the TV portal, e.g. BBC I-player
 
OP
F

Fmrl

Member
Everything else is working fine (iPlayer, Youtube, telnet, webif)- very odd. I rebooted and everything is working again so I'm not sure what the problem was, possibly just a temporary hiccup with the DNS resolver (currently pointing at 8.8.8.8) that sorted itself out by the time it rebooted.
 

Ezra Pound

Well-Known Member
If you are referring to the DNS Address in the Humax Settings >> System >> Internet Settings >> Configure LAN, I always have that set to the same address as the (Router's) Gateway address
 
OP
F

Fmrl

Member
Another strange error while trying to look at the installed packages...

Runtime Error: /mod/webif/lib/pkg.class:59: Collected errors: * opkg_conf_load: Could not lock /tmp/opkg.lock: Resource temporarily unavailable. in procedure 'pkg' called at file "pkg.jim", line 58 at file "/mod/webif/lib/pkg.class", line 59
 

MartinLiddle

Super Moderator
Staff member
possibly just a temporary hiccup with the DNS resolver (currently pointing at 8.8.8.8) that sorted itself out by the time it rebooted.
8.8.8.8 is Google DNS and I learnt the hard way that it is not as reliable as some others and prone to just the sort of glitch you describe on a regular basis. If you want to use a third party DNS, then I highly recommend Open DNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
 
OP
F

Fmrl

Member
8.8.8.8 is Google DNS and I learnt the hard way that it is not as reliable as some others and prone to just the sort of glitch you describe on a regular basis. If you want to use a third party DNS, then I highly recommend Open DNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Cheers for that. DNS lookups seem to be fine at the moment so I'll stick with Google, if it plays up again then I'll try changing it to the one you suggest. I used to have my Fox pointing at my broadband router but then VM had a bit of a funny spell a while back with their resolvers so I tried using Google instead.
 

xyz321

Well-Known Member
8.8.8.8 is Google DNS and I learnt the hard way that it is not as reliable as some others and prone to just the sort of glitch you describe on a regular basis. If you want to use a third party DNS, then I highly recommend Open DNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
If 8.8.8.8 is unreliable then this may be the reason why some 1.03.06 installs fail. I think the humax app. is adding this to the list of DNS servers in resolv.conf when the network configuration is set to DHCP.

/etc/resolv.conf
Code:
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.1.10
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
 

MartinLiddle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If 8.8.8.8 is unreliable
Certainly my experience (nothing to do with Humax but trouble shooting problems with the software that my company develops) indicates that Google DNS is flakey although it varies from day to day. As there alternatives that are much more reliable then I try to avoid Google DNS at all costs.
 
Top