Welcome to the new "HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware" forum

At the risk of insulting anyone's intelligence.
For those who haven't explored the forum settings: BB codes are in Help and Signature is an option in the drop down menu accessed by selecting your name/alias at the top right of the screen.

What did you use BB codes for? All the settings you need are available as tools in the edit box.

So you would be happy with CF/MSP then?

Acronyms don't work if you have to explain what they mean every 5 minutes, unless you enjoy repeating yourself, Regulars may know, BUT the first question from any newcomer will be ‘What does that stand for?’. At 21 characters I think ‘Custom Firmware Package’ should be written in full

Acronyms don't work if you have to explain what they mean every 5 minutes, unless you enjoy repeating yourself, Regulars may know, BUT the first question from any newcomer will be ‘What does that stand for?’. At 21 characters I think ‘Custom Firmware Package’ should be written in full
This brings us into a whole can of worms, being as I have a background in technical authoring. What are we going to do? Spell out every jargon term? People have to get used to the jargon, jargon is the way we communicate efficiently within a specific sphere of interest, but I think a way of clicking through to the glossary (or wiki version of the glossary) would be excellent. Other than that, rather than repeatedly explain, there should be a stock "please refer to..." reply to such queries.

'Custom Firmware Package' has its own problems for accuracy, since only a very small part of the (what I shall for now call) MSP is actually firmware.

So you would use a group of 6 meaningless characters instead of a group of 21 readable characters so that you can then point the reader in the direction of a lookup table which will explain what you were talking about?. I thought it had been agreed in #13 that ‘Modified’ was history

Why not just rename it 'Customised Firmware' as it is in the Wiki? Calling it Modified Firmware seems to imply that Humax's firmware is being changed.
Whether it is firmware or software is of little interest to most readers!
Jargon has its place where it is widely understood but meaningless abbreviations just confuse.
Acronyms? How do you pronounce MSP or CF. Webif works.

Whether it is firmware or software is of little interest to most readers!
Then we could use 'software' instead of 'firmware'. Let's just drop this pending the outcome of my discussions with af123.

Or keep it as it is, (on the Wi-Ki) 'Custom Firmware', See, #19

I vote for custom firmware. It makes it easier for people to understand.
Either that or call it a jailbreak as per the iPhone (it's breaking out of the humax jail).
Modified software project is too much of a mouthful. I understand the point about it technically not being a firmware, but it is firmware version reliant, and it uses the same initial install method.

Back